What's new

My dad found his razor!

Yes my dad found his old razor from the old days and sent it to me. :001_tt2: It is Gillette adjustable, K from '65, looks to be a slim handle. Everything works just fine, but needed some cleanup. He said he hadn't used it in 30yrs, he has had a beard that long. I have never seen his actuall face:ohmy: I need some polish though, don't have any here. I used toothpaste, water and rubing alcohol to clean it, it works very well, just doesn't shine it up any. I also sanitized it in a 1part bleach 9 parts water solution. I have been shaving with it the last three days. It is alittle different than my Merkur classic. I actually think it is less aggressive, but is easy to use. I started on 3, the next day tried out 4. I had to use 5 for my chin and jawline. Today I started on 5, alot better. I stll was dissapointed with my chin and jaw so up to 7 she went. I actually did really good no cuts knicks and am BBS. I was using QED soap today, the last shaves were with TOBS. I really like this adjustable. The angles are different than the Merkur, but I find it more responsive. I just need to try some other blades, currently using Merkurs, they are nice, but I find them to only last 3-4 shaves.

That is great. I love it when we can use the shaving gear that our Dad's and Grandfather's used. What a great way to connect with the past in a real and tangible way. I have four of my Dad's old razors (2 SSs, a Tech, and a Gem) and one of his old brushes. The brush is a tiny boar that works great on hard soaps. I feel a strong connection to him when I shave with his old gear.

Great!! I wish I could have some of my dad's gear. Only a brush that was his is now mine. Others pitched the razors (Ick, who would want these?)
You may never get the original shine, but I would suggest some MASS metal polish. Walmart has it. Put in a Feather and watch out!!

Great!! I wish I could have some of my dad's gear. Only a brush that was his is now mine. Others pitched the razors (Ick, who would want these?)
You may never get the original shine, but I would suggest some MASS metal polish. Walmart has it. Put in a Feather and watch out!!

My wife actually just went to the store to grab me some polish. Can't wait to shine her up (the razor that is).:001_wub:

Can't wait to shine her up (the razor that is).:001_wub:

you should shine her up also. :rolleyes:

pretty cool that she is supportive enough to run out to the store and pick you up some maas. definitely a keeper.

my old man had what i think was a slim and it sat in the med cabinet for years unused. i remember as a young lad being fascinated with it and cut up my thumb not knowing any better. since getting into shaving with the 'old' gear i asked him if it was still in the cabinet... 'no, i think i tossed it out' -oy vey!

my mom does have a couple of gramps old straights though. i just need to convince her that they would be going to better use than just sitting in her display curio. he was a barber for a while so they are actually in pretty good condition... a bit of a nice smile in em.

anyway- so darn cool to be able to put these old gems back into good use, even better when it stays within a family. well built gear really does last...

cheers,
ryan

you should shine her up also. :rolleyes:

pretty cool that she is supportive enough to run out to the store and pick you up some maas. definitely a keeper.

my old man had what i think was a slim and it sat in the med cabinet for years unused. i remember as a young lad being fascinated with it and cut up my thumb not knowing any better. since getting into shaving with the 'old' gear i asked him if it was still in the cabinet... 'no, i think i tossed it out' -oy vey!

my mom does have a couple of gramps old straights though. i just need to convince her that they would be going to better use than just sitting in her display curio. he was a barber for a while so they are actually in pretty good condition... a bit of a nice smile in em.

anyway- so darn cool to be able to put these old gems back into good use, even better when it stays within a family. well built gear really does last...

cheers,
ryan

I know she is very supportive of me, just so ya'll know I am deployed with the US Army so all my supplies come from online and the wife. She doesn't mind going to buy we wierd stuff, she just says don't expect the same treatment when you get back. She is a tuff woman and I commend her everyday. I will take a photo with my 35mm before polishing to show the difference, then will figure a way to post them when I get back.

I raided the bathroom at my moms house and found my dads old stash. It was two slims and a superadjustable. I still use the superadjustable, dont like slims much, so I dont use them.

Top Bottom