What's new

Sticky: What is a PIF? - A Guide for Newbies

Terrific post, KJ!

One thing that wasn't mentioned but deserves to be communicated:

There are many, many PIFs that go on behind the scenes, one member to another, and are not necessarily run as public events. You don't hear about them a lot unless you're either the PIFer or the PIFee, but they're happening every day. These small acts of kindness and generosity are a major reason that B&B is the most amazing online community in which I have had the pleasure of participating.

The greatest PIF of all: information!

-jim

Couldn't agree with you more, as a newbie I am thankful for all the wonderful stickies that teach me more about this community, and better yet how to be respectful of the community by knowing what is expected of one who wishes to be a part of this community. :)

Good explanation of this term although PIFing is unrealistic as idea of pure comunism in my opinion.

PIF'ing works here because we're a relatively small, self-selected group that appreciates and the respects the process.
It certainly wouldn't work out well in the outside world.

I'm curious when PIF started in B&B, and if a Mister Bear Graves was involved in it's inception... I only ask because many years ago on the usenet group Alt.Smokers.Pipes (circa 97/98) we started a similar program for new pipe smokers with pipes, tobaccos, and smoking accessories. Huge fan of the concept, there is no better way to introduce newbies to the hobby and those who are not new but aren't familiar with the tremendous range of products available. I am looking forward to participating in B&B PIFs as well (not to mention group buys). B&B, sure seems like a home away from home.

Sounds very much like the kinds of things we do over on another forum of which I'm a member. I'm glad to see people take care of each other here. Kudos!

Amen! PIFculture is so valuable to B&B (and life, when it works) perhaps this should be on the ShaveWiki, a stickie on Newbies Forum, or some other prominent spot?

Terrific post, KJ!

One thing that wasn't mentioned but deserves to be communicated:

There are many, many PIFs that go on behind the scenes, one member to another, and are not necessarily run as public events. You don't hear about them a lot unless you're either the PIFer or the PIFee, but they're happening every day. These small acts of kindness and generosity are a major reason that B&B is the most amazing online community in which I have had the pleasure of participating.

++1 I've received them and given them, and observed others, the kindness of strangers in a threaded discussion. I ardently disagree with those who say PIFing is some idea of pure communism (?!) Giving without a specific, immediate quid pro quo is a vital element of all human communities. Even the most capitalist societies rely on various forms of charity, altruism, social sharing, the commons, etc. And, I am reminded what my (and many) religious traditions understand as the primary sin of Sodom & Gomorrah: lack/denial of hospitality and charity.

Last edited:
Great idea and concept and well written!
i have PIFed a few times to guys at work who were starting out in DE shaving and helps add a sense of adventure and discovery.

Hi All,

I just joined, but I had to say: What a wonderful idea! :001_smile

I enjoyed B&B as a great, helpful resource for information as I learned how to get into traditional shaving (still learning!), but this PIF concept makes B&B all the more special.

HI

I am interested in offering blades (something like a sampler pack) to fellow B&B members. I'd have liked to post the PIF under Gentlemanly Deals but I understand I may not be eligible.

Could I simply post it under General Shaving Talk > Safety Razors > Safety Razor Blades ?

Thanks

HI

I am interested in offering blades (something like a sampler pack) to fellow B&B members. I'd have liked to post the PIF under Gentlemanly Deals but I understand I may not be eligible.

Could I simply post it under General Shaving Talk > Safety Razors > Safety Razor Blades ?

Thanks
Posting the PIF in the General Shave Discussion is your best bet. It will get the most views because it is a high traffic forum.The gentlemanly deals forum is reserved for trades and good deals.

Top Bottom