What's new

PIPE SMOKING 101... Q & A about all aspects of pipe smoking.

Do you dry your tobacco out prior to smoking, other than making it burn better what benefits have you noticed, does it make the flavor come out better? I have been pipe smoking for about 3 months now and this is one thing I really haven't experimented with.

Last edited:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Do you dry your tobacco out prior to smoking, other than making it burn better what benefits have you noticed, does it make the flavor come out better? I have been pipe smoking a couple months now and this is one thing I really haven't experimented with.

Wait a minute, you've only been smoking a couple of months? You have more tobacco that most of the tobacco shops I visit :lol:

If find that if I dry the tobacco a bit I get richer deeper flavor. There smoke is dryer and produces less steam, and the less steam the less the occurrence of tongue bite and the cooler the smoke which allows more of the tobacco's flavor to come through. It's possible to go too far the other way however, if the tobacco is crispy crunchy dry it will likely burn too fast making an acrid, hot smoke,

$IMG_1057.jpg$IMG_1059.jpg
Sorry about the poor qualityof these photos.

Last edited:
Wait a minute, you've only been smoking a couple of months? You have more tobacco that most of the tobacco shops I visit :lol:
I checked my records it has been about 3 months, time fly's when your having fun.:001_tongu

Last edited:
It all depends on the tobacco. Some smoke better a little on the moist, others a better toward dry. Try some experimenting a bowl at a time.

I smoke Capt Black white label. Its so wet when you first open it you can't light it. If I buy a pouch I'll leave it open over night, if it's a can I leave the lid half off for a few days.

If find that if I dry the tobacco a bit I get richer deeper flavor. There smoke is dryer and produces less steam, and the less steam the less the occurrence of tongue bite and the cooler the smoke which allows more of the tobacco's flavor to come through. It's possible to go too far the other way however, if the tobacco is crispy crunchy dry it will likely burn too fast making an acrid, hot smoke,

^Yeah, what he said.
v But also what he said. :thumbup:
It all depends on the tobacco. Some smoke better a little on the moist, others a better toward dry. Try some experimenting a bowl at a time.

I smoke Capt Black white label. Its so wet when you first open it you can't light it. If I buy a pouch I'll leave it open over night, if it's a can I leave the lid half off for a few days.

Due to the amount of PG in most drugstore baccys, when I dry mine out I'll spread it out on a paper towel and stick another paper towel on top to try and "soak up" some of the PG and aid in drying. Captain Black was my first pipe tobacco and I keep coming back to it.

Top Bottom