What's new

New Gear, could benefit from input

proxy.php

Got bored last weekend at work and picked these up as a cheap package off ebay. It's Selective branded. It was cheap, and the quality is reflected. The strop is 2.5" x 24" with a smooth/rough leather piece, and black smooth leather with what feels like felt on the other side. The razors came with the edges rolled... If these were pocket/kitchen knives I'd run them across the steel.

When stropping what are the different sides used for?
I'm guessing the razors aren't worth anything, but are they salvageable for use? Like for a backup when I get a main (ie nice) razor and it is off for honing, or on trips? Or should I just write them off for what they are and use them for stropping practice and utility blades...lol

Thanks,
R

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I found that they simply would not take a good edge. That's AFTER addressing issues like asymmetrical spines and intrusive stabilizers and shoulders, and blade twist. Seraphim I think honed two of them and got them to shave. So YMMV. The strop will work for your beginner strop. You will trash it pretty quick anyhow, learning to strop. By all means, keep them for stropping practice. You could even do a couple of practice runs shaving with them. Dull the edges even more for safety, if you like, so you won't get any cuts.

Check out Larry's Sight Unseen shave-ready vintage razors at www.whippeddog.com. That is probably the cheapest way for you to get in the game.

Legion

Staff member
proxy.php

I bought similar stuff when I started, before I knew any better. Recently I found the razor so I thought Id give it a go on the hones. The steel was too soft and I couldn't get it shave ready. Not close.

But hang onto them, maybe you can use them for practice later. Don't pay to have them professionally honed.

Top Bottom