What's new

Hiatus! Need more Practice!

I only give myself 30 minutes each morning to get ready for work :scared: so at most times I use a DE and just do 2 passes and don't get close at all. It's been a few weeks since I last shaved with a straight, today I used my hardy W&B as it seems more smooth compared to my american steel. Overall rough shave, pulled uncomfortably. My fingers got in the way twice one nice loud chime against my finger nail and a nice little slit next to the nail. I think that the encounter with my finger caused the chip that I could see with my young eyes, feel with my nail, and observe a noticeable bowl

I know that I've been neglecting this in all and reserved my free time to the nib :001_tt1: I just want to keep on trucking past the learning curve and say that I shave with a straight razor... This transition is hard.. And painful on the fingers:crying:... And ears.. I've done the ears a few times in the past, thrust my left hand into my chin. One day...

Sounds pretty normal, it gets better fast with experience so don't give up. After a bit over a year into straight shaving I am amazed at how easy movements I once thought would be impossible have become. But it sounds like you may want to start shaving at night to allow yourself the time to not have to rush, which sounds like half your battle. Keep on keeping on......

I don't know your razors but maybe you need to mute the point a little. Shaving at night or when you have more time allows you to get used to holding the razor and learning technique. Persistence is rewarded. HAVE FUN!

I use to shave at night every other night. I don't know how that worked, I guess going to sleep with a DFS has more affect on my skin in 24 hours than doing two passes and shaving 15 hours later. So I will give it a try to have atleast 3 straight shaves a week. What should I do about the chip though? It's not a microchip, just a very small chip. Although the seller said he would hone it for me but I don't have much time with the blade to bother him 3 months later (note the 'hiatus'). I want a barbers hone or just something to help maintain the edge as well.

Top Bottom