What's new

Joris, Fatip, and R89 old question

I'm looking to acquire one of the three and was wondering if it's the same head on all 3 and just a difference in handles. Thanks for any replies

I've heard that the Muhle/FaTip have the identical head and that the Joris is slightly different although clearly modeled on the same design. That said, I have no real confirmation of that claim. I'm in the group buy for the Fatip so hopefully, I'll be able to compare it with my Joris soon.

My information is only anecdotal from other threads here over the years but I understand that they are all very similar. I sometimes use an R89 on a heavy bulldog handle from Cooncatbob - far right in the pic. It's easily the most aggressive razor I own - more than a slant or a Barbasol. It also gives about the best shave of any of them but it needs some care. Fendrihan had the 89s for sale still quite recently, I don't know if they still do.

jpg.gif

Attachments

• $Weber1.jpg
    $Weber1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 360
BTW, my comment (after shaving with a Joris and a FaTip) in the other thread was, "To me there's no contest: even though the heads are virtually identical, the Joris is the better performer by a decent margin." Much more detail here

Fatip used to make the heads for MÜHLE razors up until 2009.....The new head Fatip is different than the old Muehles and Joris heads, If it was the same as the Joris and Mulhe we would not have gone into a group buy to get a italin made/Fatip from an outside vendor. We would have just gone to mulhe and bought one there.

Attachments

• $IMG-20110822-00147.jpg
    $IMG-20110822-00147.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
I have:

• AoS/Joris Horn - purchased used from eBay
  • Joris Major - purchased new in 2011
  • Muhle Pre-2008 2009 R89 - purchased from Bull Goose
  • Muhle Pre-2008 2009 R41/Fa Tip - purchased from the BST

My Joris Horn has a different top plate than my Joris Major. The base plates are the same.
My Joris Horn has a different top plate and base plate than the Muhle Pre-2008 R89.
My Joris Horn has the same top plate but a different base plate than the Muhle Pre-2008 R41/Fa Tip.

My Joris Major has the same top plate but a different base plate than the Muhle Pre-2008 R89.
My Joris Major has a different top plate and bottom plate than the Muhle Pre-2008 R41/Fa Tip.

My Muhle Pre-2008 2009 R89 has a different top plate but the same bottom plate than the Muhle Pre-2008 R41/Fa Tip.

In other words there are two different top plates and two different base plates. I'll arbitrarily label each type 'A' and 'B'.

|
Top Plate​
||
Bottom Plate​
|
A​
||
A​
|
B​
||
A​
|
B​
||
B​
|
A​
||
B​

I'm not sure why my Joris Horn and Joris Major are different. I purchased my Joris Horn on eBay and the seller listed it as an 'Art of Shaving' razor. I don't know how old it is either. Maybe AoS tweaked the razor when they rebranded it or maybe Joris changed the design recently. I can't say with certainty.

I'll put up some pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:
I have:

• AoS/Joris Horn - purchased used from eBay
  • Joris Major - purchased new in 2011
  • Muhle Pre-2008 R89 - purchased from Bull Goose
  • Muhle Pre-2008 R41/Fa Tip - purchased from the BST

My Joris Horn has a different top plate than my Joris Major. The base plates are the same.
My Joris Horn has a different top plate and base plate than the Muhle Pre-2008 R89.
My Joris Horn has the same top plate but a different base plate than the Muhle Pre-2008 R41/Fa Tip.

My Joris Major has the same top plate but a different base plate than the Muhle Pre-2008 R89.
My Joris Major has a different top plate and bottom plate than the Muhle Pre-2008 R41/Fa Tip.

My Muhle Pre-2008 R89 has a different top plate but the same bottom plate than the Muhle Pre-2008 R41/Fa Tip.

In other words there are two different top plates and two different base plates. I'll arbitrarily label each type 'A' and 'B'.

Top Plate​
Bottom Plate​
Joris Horn​
A​
A​
Joris Major​
B​
A​
Muhle Pre-2008 R89​
B​
B​
Muhle Pre-2008 R41/Fa Tip​
A​
B​

I'm not sure why my Joris Horn and Joris Major are different. I purchased my Joris Horn on eBay and the seller listed it as an 'Art of Shaving' razor. I don't know how old it is either. Maybe AoS tweaked the razor when they rebranded it or maybe Joris changed the design recently. I can't say with certainty.

I'll put up some pictures tomorrow.
the new Fatip is diffrent than those mulhe 09 razors. Fatip stopped making Muhles heads on 2009....

the new Fatip is diffrent than those mulhe 09 razors. Fatip stopped making Muhles heads on 2009....

Really? So the razor from JeffE's group buy is different than the Muhle Pre-2008 2009 R89 that I purchased from Fendrihan in July 2011 and different from the Muhle Pre-2008 2009 R89 I got from Bull Goose in December 2011?

Care to make it interesting?

Last edited:
It is a different head design, thats why we went for an outside vendor and paid double the price, or else we wouldve saved 50% and went w Fendrihan...why would i spend more money on a same head razor that i can buy here? you know i like to save money.:001_tt1:

It is a different head design, thats why we went for an outside vendor and paid double the price, or else we wouldve saved 50% and went w Fendrihan...why would i spend more money on a same head razor that i can buy here? you know i like to save money.:001_tt1:

Fendrihan doesn't sell the Pre-2008 2009 R89 anymore and when they did, it wasn't for 50% of JeffE's group buy price. I got mine for ~$40 shipped. It was listed there as the Muhle R99, not to be confused with the Muhle razor case, but they're out of stock now.

I checked fendrihan. No dice

Anyway, you can see the differences between the razors in my attached pictures. From left to right: AoS/Joris Horn, Joris Major, Muhle Pre-2008 2009 R89, and Muhle Pre-2008 2009 R41/Fa Tip.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Nice pic James. I didn't know about the differences in caps!

The manufacturer of the Fatip made a few different styles of that razor, which were rebranded variously. The chrome Mühle in your photo (3rd from the left) is the Fatip 42107. The nickel-plated, skinny one on the far right is a Fatip 42100. There's a gold-plated Fatip (42115) that was sold under the Premax brand in Australia.

Morocutti has a nice list of Fatips, although you cannot purchase from them online. Their website is in Italian, but if you click on "Rasoi" (razors) and then "Rasoi di Sicurezza" (safety razors) you'll find their catalog.

$fatip.jpg

Nice pic James. I didn't know about the differences in caps!

The manufacturer of the Fatip made a few different styles of that razor, which were rebranded variously. The chrome Mühle in your photo (3rd from the left) is the Fatip 42107. The nickel-plated, skinny one on the far right is a Fatip 42100. There's a gold-plated Fatip (42115) that was sold under the Premax brand in Australia.

Morocutti has a nice list of Fatips, although you cannot purchase from them online. Their website is in Italian, but if you click on "Rasoi" (razors) and then "Rasoi di Sicurezza" (safety razors) you'll find their catalog.

Thanks for the additional info, Francesco. That was news to me.

Fendrihan doesn't sell the Pre-2008 R89 anymore and when they did, it wasn't for 50% of JeffE's group buy price. I got mine for ~$40 shipped. It was listed there as the Muhle R99, not to be confused with the Muhle razor case, but they're out of stock now.

Anyway, you can see the differences between the razors in my attached pictures. From left to right: AoS/Joris Horn, Joris Major, Muhle Pre-2008 R89, and Muhle Pre-2008 R41/Fa Tip.

Pictures are fantastic. I recently received a replacement head from Joris for my Thuja Wood handled model. It appears to have the same base plate as yours but the top plate looks like your pre-2008 R89 while the head it replaced looks the same as your Major.

I have acquired a Pre 2008 Muhle Fatip (thanks AABCDS) and a 2009 Fatip. Now I just need a Joris. Hopefully that's fixed soon :)

im talikng about the new 2011 Fatip from Italy, they dont make them for Muele any longer.

Attachments

• $fatip+2.jpg
    $fatip+2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 291
Top Bottom