What's new

They could have made the Merkur HD as a three piece.

I was thinking, why didn't they just make the Merkur HD as a three piece razor like the Merkur "classic"? They could make it identical like the classic, but do away with the knob that twists at the bottom of the handle and get rid of the riveted head and make it a separate piece. Then they wouldn't have to make that long threaded post that goes halfway down the handle. Just use the same head, top and bottom as the classic, the only difference is, the fatter handle, keep the handle the same, just make it a one piece handle like the classic. I frankly don't see the point of riveting the head onto the handle or having that TTO to release the top razor head assembly. By riveting the bottom head to the handle, just creates another step in manufacturing. Just make it a 3 piece, the HD would use the identical head assembly as the classic, 2 pieces with the same, shorter threaded post the classic uses. The fatter handle would be the same minus the turning knob, with no bottom razor head fixed to the handle.

I was thinking, why didn't they just make the Merkur HD as a three piece razor like the Merkur "classic"? They could make it identical like the classic, but do away with the knob that twists at the bottom of the handle and get rid of the riveted head and make it a separate piece. Then they wouldn't have to make that long threaded post that goes halfway down the handle. Just use the same head, top and bottom as the classic, the only difference is, the fatter handle, keep the handle the same, just make it a one piece handle like the classic. I frankly don't see the point of riveting the head onto the handle or having that TTO to release the top razor head assembly. By riveting the bottom head to the handle, just creates another step in manufacturing. Just make it a 3 piece, the HD would use the identical head assembly as the classic, 2 pieces with the same, shorter threaded post the classic uses. The fatter handle would be the same minus the turning knob, with no bottom razor head fixed to the handle.

I've often wondered that myself.

I suspect it has something to do with trying to make it safer or easier to replace the blade, which is simpler when part of the head is fixed to the handle.

Well, having just received my Merkur Long Handle Classic, I have to say that I was surprised to find out that it operates differently than the HD.

I'm just enough of a fumble fingers that holding onto (or turning) the head and having the whole thing come off to change the blade is a sure recipe for future blood loss. :scared:

I would love a long handle version that operates like the HD. It's a minor detail/complaint but just caught me by surprise.

The HD handle is just too stubby for my hands. So, I'm hoping that the new Long Handle plus the brand new Rooney Style 3, Large will make my shave much more comfortable. Short and stubby just doesn't work for me. :shaving:

sometimes accidents happen, i finished shaving and my wilkinson DE fell out of my hand, bounced a couple of times on the floor and bent the blade,

good thing its the cheap plastic DE, if it would have happened with my slim, i would have been crying.

Well, having just received my Merkur Long Handle Classic, I have to say that I was surprised to find out that it operates differently than the HD.

I'm just enough of a fumble fingers that holding onto (or turning) the head and having the whole thing come off to change the blade is a sure recipe for future blood loss. :scared:

I must say I do get a feeling of dread whenever I need to swap blades on my 23C and ball handle Tech. I'm sure that eventually I'll get a scar from one or both, but I do like the way both shave and I like the longer handle on the 23C. A two piece 23C like the HD would be great, but with such a thin handle I'm not sure it could work mechanically.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My HD is a three piece. Tug on that knob hard enough, and you'll see what I mean.

Ouch, I know what you mean; three pieces held together with a spring ring inside the handle shaft. The only Merkur I currently have left in my rotation is the 23C since I sold my 38C and HD.

The two piece design does make changing blades so much easier and safer for me I see no reason why anyone would want a three piece HD?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Ouch, I know what you mean; three pieces held together with a spring ring inside the handle shaft. The only Merkur I currently have left in my rotation is the 23C since I sold my 38C and HD.

The two piece design does make changing blades so much easier and safer for me I see no reason why anyone would want a three piece HD?

Because the long handle is so great?

I've been using what I thought is a HD since August but it disassembles into three pieces. I bought it from classicshaving.

Any idea what razor it is?

I've been using what I thought is a HD since August but it disassembles into three pieces. I bought it from classicshaving.

Any idea what razor it is?

Likely a Classic or Classic long handle (depending on the lenght of the handle, obviously :biggrin: ).

Great razor with the same head design as the HD - just a slightly lighter razor.

Well yes, the HD and the slant for that matter are three pieces, but they're not the same as a three piece like the tech. The "classic" three piece razors tend to be a bit more difficult to align the blade properly. It's generally easier to get proper alignment with the "two piece" such as the HD where the head is riveted on. I believe that's the real reason for riveting the head on, and it works really well, for me at least.

Now, that having been said, Gillette solved the blade alignment issue on the tech by having "holders" built right into the head. But even with that, it's easier for me to properly load my slant than my tech.

I dunno, but I never get head blade alignment issues with the classic or HD. They all seem to work well with even blade gaps both sides.

Top Bottom