What's new

Don't rinse between passes?

I prefer not to because when I don't rinse between passes each lathering is successively thicker than the last. This works nicely because with each pass I'm cutting a little closer. By my 4th pass, which is T & C / blade buffing, I've got a heavy cream going that offers much more protection than the 1st pass.

Any opinions on this?

guenron said:
One opinion that only counts, yours. You like it? It works for you? What else could possibly count?
As a noob I seek wisdom from the sagacious shavemeisters. There may be pros to the rinse, and cons to the non-rinse, that I'm unaware of and will not discover on my own sans years of trial and error and needless tribulation. The experience of my shavelders, and the consequent knowledge obtained, counts for much.

With The Grain said:
more cream or soap and developing the lather in a bowl to the thickness level you like/get by the 4th pass might be worth trying
That's true, but I don't really want it that thick on the 1st or 2nd pass. I could modify the lather for each pass, but I'd rather not, unless there are compelling reasons to rinse between passes. Which begs the question- why is rinsing between passes generally preferred?

Harkonnendog said:
That's true, but I don't really want it that thick on the 1st or 2nd pass. I could modify the lather for each pass, but I'd rather not, unless there are compelling reasons to rinse between passes. Which begs the question- why is rinsing between passes generally preferred?

I could probably take it or leave it, but with each rinse, I can feel the remaining stubble. It's a map to completing the shave.

Randy

Whatever works for you, man, go for it!

As for me, I rinse for two reasons:

(1) I feel that the thin film of water underneath the cream is key to good lubrication, and it is very obvious to me when I don't rinse

(2) I like to get all the soap scum and whisker bits off my face so they are not getting buried in my brush.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I like my cream on the thick side, but when it's too thick the blade seems to shudder and jitter a bit- not a good thing on those last passes.

Hey!!! 400 posts. How time does fly. Only 1,638 more "Yes" posts and I tie Ron.

ouch said:
I like my cream on the thick side, but when it's too thick the blade seems to shudder and jitter a bit- not a good thing on those last passes.

Hey!!! 400 posts. How time does fly. Only 1,638 more "Yes" posts and I tie Ron.
mrob said:
Yes!

Only 1906 posts to tie Ron.
Hey and I'm making it easy for you. I had the site tech knock off approximately 400 a few weeks ago just to give you a fighting chance.:lol:
For the New Joisey Noodnick:
YES!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
guenron said:
Hey and I'm making it easy for you. I had the site tech knock off approximately 400 a few weeks ago just to give you a fighting chance.:lol:
For the New Joisey Noodnick:
YES!

Putz? Schmuck? (Did you mention schmekel?) Noodnick?

I'm beginning to think you're one of my landsmans.:lol:

I definately rinse between passes, and even add more water to the lather. It seems to get thicker and more drying as I go. Dry lather causing the blade to skip on the against grain pass isn't going to cut it, pun intended.

BTW Harkonnen, another Herbert fan here!

ouch said:
Putz? Schmuck? (Did you mention schmekel?) Noodnick?

I'm beginning to think you're one of my landsmans.:lol:
My, you certainly have a way with words. So the less erudite might understand, lingam!:lol:

javyn said:
I definately rinse between passes, and even add more water to the lather. It seems to get thicker and more drying as I go. Dry lather causing the blade to skip on the against grain pass isn't going to cut it, pun intended.

BTW Harkonnen, another Herbert fan here!

I shall inform the Baron.

Top Bottom