What's new

aligning the dial on the merkur progress

I've just started to use my merkur progress after having it in the closet for over 1 year. I had become hooked on my Edwin Jagger Chatsworth but figured it was time for a change. I vaguely remember there being some instructions in the box listed as Important. Needless to say I threw it away.:mellow:

My merkur progress reads a 2.5 or a 3 when it should be reading a 1. any pointers as to how I can somehow pair the 2 up so they match each other??

On the instructions on mine there was a picture showing the alignment markings on the head and the * on the turning knob being lined up. I do this everytime and my numbers zero out with a blade in it everytime. I also think that Mantic had a video showing how to move the handle. Here is a link I found.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FZvMmuX_GE

The alignment notch on the top piece of the head must be on the same side as the triangle.

Let us know how you like the Progress!

Don't turn the handle, the number ring is floating on the same plastic that the knob is made from, it's a pressed fit.
How handy are you, what tools do you have access to?
You need to make a poor man's collet wretch that will clamp onto the number ring so you can turn it or you can wrap it with masking tape and grip it with pliers and turn it into position.

The alignment notch on the top piece of the head must be on the same side as the triangle.

Let us know how you like the Progress!

I just got the long handle Progress and absolutely love it! I like it as much as my Fatboy and way more than the new R41. I am thinking on trading or selling my R41 even. I have never been able to shave with it that I didn't loose a wee bit of blood. The Progress let's me "Dial In" the shave I want and where I want. It dials up more aggressive than the fatboy and can be as mild as my Red Tip. It's a all in one!

Don't turn the handle, the number ring is floating on the same plastic that the knob is made from, it's a pressed fit.
How handy are you, what tools do you have access to?
You need to make a poor man's collet wretch that will clamp onto the number ring so you can turn it or you can wrap it with masking tape and grip it with pliers and turn it into position.

+1. I just wrapped the number ring with a towel and used a pair of pliers to turn the ring. Now when I turn it all the way down, the number '1' aligns with the dot. The ring was not hard to turn at all.

Top Bottom