What's new

Advice Sought on Small Shaving Brush

I am seeking advice and/or opinions on a small shaving brush...18-20mm range knot. I use almost exclusively creams and face lather most of the time. I started out with larger brushes thinking bigger was better...I hade a few Chubbys (2 and 3), a Rooney Stubby 2 and a Kent BLK8...all very nice brushes but just too big for my taste. I was making enough lather for 5 shaves not to mention spreading cream from my forehead to collar bone. I have since swapped out for a Simpsons Classic 2 (I like it dispite some shedding issues, wish it were a little softer at the tips...love the size) and a Rooney size 1 sytle 3 (very nice tips, could be smaller for my tastes). Any ideas or suggestions??:001_unsur

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
The Case and Special are 19mm, while the Berkeley if 20mm. I have the latter and face lather >90% of the time.

The Case and Special are 19mm, while the Berkeley if 20mm. I have the latter and face lather >90% of the time.

The Berkeley is one I have looked at...am I correct in that it is available in Best only? Simpsons Best seems to be pretty nice, I really like my Classic except for it just can't help leaving a hair or two on my face almost every time. I keep hoping for it to go away, but so for it has not.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Yes, the Berkeley is only available in Best, but that shouldn't count against it :tongue_sm
I think inclination to shedding is going to vary by each individual knot. No issues with mine at all.

Simpson's Emperor1 in Super

That is a really interesting brush, I did not realize the knot was that small...I guess the larger handle threw me off. Do you have a 3 or 2 band? I understand the 3 band may be a little softer feel at the tips.

Highly recommend a Vie Long 13120 (17mm x1 3/4") or a Vie Long 13710 (20mm x 1 3/4"). I have a 13710 and that's about as small I brush as I would like. It works great though and was the motivation for me to buy a 2nd Vie Long horsehair (a 13061 one of my favorites)

Yes, the Berkeley is only available in Best, but that shouldn't count against it :tongue_sm
I think inclination to shedding is going to vary by each individual knot. No issues with mine at all.

I was just checking out Superior Shave...listed as a Berkeley 46B (don't know if the 46B means anything or that is the normal model designation), but some of them appear to be 3 bands...am I imagining things?? Some clearly appear to be Best (that is, they look like my Classic, with no noticable "banding"), while half appear to have noticable bands, similar to a 3 band Super.....hmmmm:001_unsur

Highly recommend a Vie Long 13120 (17mm x1 3/4") or a Vie Long 13710 (20mm x 1 3/4"). I have a 13710 and that's about as small I brush as I would like. It works great though and was the motivation for me to buy a 2nd Vie Long horsehair (a 13061 one of my favorites)
I have never owned a horsehair or bristle brush but wouldn't they be a little more "scritchy" feeling? I know many people prefer this, but I am looking for something the feels super soft at the tips and as I rarely use soaps, I don't care for much backbone

If you don't mind a brush without a lot of backbone but which will lather like a 24mm knot, try a Savile Row silvertip 3x18 (where the "x" is the handle style of your choice). The 3x20 is a 20mm knot with, I'm told, better backbone. Both will have soft tips. In fact, some say the 3x20 brush has softer tips and more backbone than the 3x18.

I am seeking advice and/or opinions on a small shaving brush...18-20mm range knot. I use almost exclusively creams and face lather most of the time. I started out with larger brushes thinking bigger was better...I hade a few Chubbys (2 and 3), a Rooney Stubby 2 and a Kent BLK8...all very nice brushes but just too big for my taste. I was making enough lather for 5 shaves not to mention spreading cream from my forehead to collar bone. I have since swapped out for a Simpsons Classic 2 (I like it dispite some shedding issues, wish it were a little softer at the tips...love the size) and a Rooney size 1 sytle 3 (very nice tips, could be smaller for my tastes). Any ideas or suggestions??:001_unsur

If you don't mind a brush without a lot of backbone but which will lather like a 24mm knot, try a Savile Row silvertip 3x18 (where the "x" is the handle style of your choice). The 3x20 is a 20mm knot with, I'm told, better backbone. Both will have soft tips. In fact, some say the 3x20 brush has softer tips and more backbone than the 3x18.
I have read good stuff about Saville Row...I will check them out. Do you have a trusted or recommended vendor?? (Nevermind that vendor comment...I get it!!)

Last edited:
The 3318 looks VERY interesting....I think this could be a candidate!! Thanks!

I have both the 3118 and 3120 and love them both. Great brushes for soap or cream. Soft tips, and the 3120 does have an edge over the 3118 for soap, but only by a hair, no pun intended.

Go to The Golden Nib (TGN) (www.thegoldennib.com), buy yourself an 18 or 20mm Finest Badger knot and then find an old, vintage handle to restore or buy a new handle from TGN. A few drops of epoxy and you've got yourself a world-class brush that performs just as well as the big-bucks brands!

Just be aware that the 3318 is a very small brush (although the "3" does seem like the biggest handle available). The 3320 is small too but more medium-small.
I just measured my current favorite brush...a vintage Simpsons 54...it is 46 loft, 18mm knot, only 44mm handle for total 90mm...also a very skinny handle with a 30mm diameter. I think the 3318 or 3118 would be just right...especially if the are ultra soft tips as it sounds like they are!

If you like the Simpson Classic 2 and do not mind the size, I might recommend a Thater 4125/00. The specifications are quite close, but in my opinion the Thater is a far superior brush...especially if you are after soft tips. I know Scritchnscrub has experience with Thaters and it appears the Saville Row, so maybe he can comment.

Simpson Classic
Color: Faux Ivory
Total Height: 84mm
Bristle Loft: 44mm
Knot Dia: 23mm
Hair: Simpson Best Badger

Thater 4125/00
Color: Ebony Resin
Total Height: 85mm
Bristle Loft: 47mm
Knot Dia: 23mm
Hair: Super Silvertip