What's new

I feel like a Jerk...my wife got me a razor

My wife has been out of town to Monassas, Va. visiting family. I dropped some hints about visiting local antique shops. She called me yesterday excited to tell me that she found me something that I would like. It's a really loving gesture considering that she has a tough time with my AD. I tried to get her to tell me what it was but she wouldn't budge. I told her that she probably got something really nice. Without thinking I said, "As long as it's not one of those 70's style plastic gillette razors that look like a garden hoe and parades itself as an antique ." (Techmatic) After that I heard silence...My wife said that she thinks that's what she got.
I tried to console her but I put in my foot in my mouth. She freaked out and couldn't get the razor because it was deep in her luggage. She did say it's a Schick and that it has a knob. So now the question is, is it an adjustable injector or a safety band razor? (I'm hoping for the adjustable) I can't wait to see my wife today but I'm also slightly curious about the razor. I do feel like a jerk though. :mellow:

Last edited:
Without thinking I said, "As long as it's not one of those 70's style plastic gillette razors that look like a garden hoe and parades itself as an antique ."

Yeah, that will cost you. If you would have just put a touch of finesse on it, maybe changed a word or two, like maybe "You bought me a present? You always buy the best things and have such awesome taste".

But now, FTD quick.

She will have a very tidy and clean house with a vase full of lillies (her favorite flowers) to come home to. I even took a half day off to meet her.

Dude, you're good. You already said it was different than what you thought. Unless she really knows about vintage razors, just get excited when you see it and say "OMG you did great! Do you know how cool this is?!! You're the best baby, I'm sorry I made you feel bad" Been there, done that.:thumbup1:

Last edited:
Maybe one idea for damage control...

Have two web pages saved, one with an injector, and one with a Knack. Whichever one is furthest from what she got you, tell her that is what you were talking about. Then gush all over what ever she bought. Take one of your favorite razors off your stand and put it up there.

Always remember the husband's mantra

"I'm sorry dear, You're right. It won't happen again. I will try to change.... I promise"

If it says Schick, then it isn't the techmatic. The Schick adjustable is an awesome razor, it is my favorite injector razor. I'm sure that's what you have.

She did say it's a Schick and that it has a knob. So now the question is, is it an adjustable injector or a safety band razor? (I'm hoping for the adjustable) I can't wait to see my wife today but I'm also slightly curious about the razor. I do feel like a jerk though.

I would go with an Adjustable Schick Injector. Which would be an awesome score.

The Schick Band razor has a lever, not a knob. Of course I guess this depends on how descriptive your wife usually is.

This the Band-Razor:

$schickband.jpg

Schick's version of the Techmatic.
Either way I will love it!

NOS, hell, just tell her it would be a shame to mess it up, collectors pay big money for stuff still in the original packaging (which isn't a lie).

Display it right in the middle of the dresser until she gets good and tired of seeing it, then let it disappear to a box somewhere or to the BST.

She could have meant it had a knob at the end, as in a Krona. A DE razor looks more hoe-like than an Autoband razor, which looks nothing like a hoe.

Go find a piece of junk "antique" razor similar to that which you said to her, then when she shows you the one she got, show here the other and say "you did good."

Then take her out to dinner with flowers, chocolate and something with diamonds on or in it.

Top Bottom