What's new

Shaving Soap vs. Shaving Cream?

I'm currently looking for a new shaving cream because I think that the one I'm using is causing some irritation and giving me some break outs. I never really thought about using shaving soaps, but that's mostly because I don't really know what the difference between a shaving cream and a shaving soap is besides the fact that a soap is a solid thing and cream usually comes in some type of tube or tub or something and isnt solid.

Do they shave differently? Are there pros and cons to each? Just curious

thanks,
Dan

Dan, it is pretty much a YMMV (your mileage may vary) sort of thing. Some greatly prefer creams and for others, it is soaps. I prefer soaps, but I still occasionally enjoy using a cream.

For me, one of the biggest factors for soaps is that they seem so much more traditional. But I also do prefer the way they shave. To me, they are slipperier, but some cream advocates say it is the other way around (i.e., YMMV).

Also, there are at least two major types of soaps. Glycerin soaps are cheaper by the cake, but they don't last as long. Glycerin soaps have more vivid scents. Their shaving quality can be very good. I would recommend Mama Bear's or QED.

The hard triple milled soaps are quite expensive to buy, but they last a very long time. Their scents are usually much more subdued, but still very pleasant. To me, the triple milled soaps are the slipperiest of all. Also, my favorite triple milled soaps, such as Mitchell's Wool Fat and Trumper's, leave my skin feeling very conditioned, like I had already used a smooth lotion (but, I hadn't).

Hope this helps.
Tim

Hi Dan, Tim! There's one area of lather you've left out of the equation, superlather!

I've gotten the best shaves by using a lather made up of a soap/cream combo, starting it off using a bowl to combine them and finishing off on my face, squeezing the excess lather into a scuttle to keep it warm. Adding a bit of hot water to keep it going and wetting down the lather that's already on the face if required.

+1 for the superlather. Shaved for the first time today with a superlather, was a great shave. Today I used Lime Kiss My Face and Lime Col. Conks, the lather was awesome lots of cushion and very slick.

I started out on soaps, then switched to creams, and now find myself going back to soaps with some cream thrown in if I want a super lather. However, I'm mainly a soap user now. I do love the glycerin soaps and am a big fan of QED, Mama Bear, Colonel Conk and the like, but nothing can take me from my triple-milled soaps. Albeit I haven't really tried a whole ton of them, triple-milled soaps are a step above everything else I've ever used. Taylor's, Trumper's, Tabac. They may seem expensive at first, but the investment is totally worth it. And you don't have to get the fancy wooden (or ceramic) bowl as that drives up the price considerably. Taylor's is about $12-14, Trumper's around $15-17, and Tabac is only around $6 from QED. Pick a scent, they're all good. My favorite of them all would have to be the Tabac, followed closely by Taylor's Rose. Pick a scent you like, none of them disappoint in my experience.

-Allen

+1 for the superlather. Shaved for the first time today with a superlather, was a great shave. Today I used Lime Kiss My Face and Lime Col. Conks, the lather was awesome lots of cushion and very slick.

+2 Super lather is wonderful and it allows you to play with various combinations of scents...I did the MB Spicy Lime and Trumpters Coconut a day or two back. Too much coconut, not enough Spicy Lime, looking forward to trying again tomorrow!

I have got to try this superlather thing. I always thought about it. For me I have been getting better feeling skin with creams, but soap get me a closer shave. I really need my badgerbrush, my boars hair just isn't working on the soaps. I have found the creams easier to use and alittle quicker, soaps seem to be picky, atleast for me. I say get a couple of both and go from their. You can't go wrong with TOBS or Proraso cream. The QED soap is top of line, and great scents.

I'm pretty much a soap guy.(L'Ox. and Trumpers Lime) I find it lasts longer and is a little slicker than most creams. i also find that my soaps rinse cleaner and quicker than creams. When I want a cream I use L'Ox Cade cream (I get it to work just fine) or AOS Sandalwood or Lemon. But, YMMV.

Top Bottom