What's new

What is/was Dad's Aftershave?

I finally picked up an old Aqua Velva decanter on eBay the other night. I've halfheartedly wanted one for a while, but I don't use AV even though I like it. The reason? It's Dad's aftershave. I don't remember him wearing anything else in all of my 35 years. Never once, not even experimentally.

I'm lucky to have Dad around and I know a lot of guys don't, so it led me to think...

What is/was Dad's aftershave? The one that will always be associated with your old man, no matter what. For me it's Aqua Velva Ice Blue, what about you guys?

My dad passed away many years ago when I was only 20....but he used "AFTA" from the time it came out I think..??...and stuck with it.

As a kid I can remember my dad using Canoe on special occasions. He isn't really a scent guy, though I have gotten him re-interested in wet shaving since my renewed interest started, and now he has developed a love of Bay Rum AS. I can distinctly remember my grandfather wearing English Leather as well, and I have a fondness for it today as a result.

I remember my dad had Brut splash, and a variety of Avon splashes that the womenfolk in the family would get him as gifts

Old Spice and English Leather were staples for dad and grampa (maternal, never knew paternal grampa, died before I was born)... occasionally I'd see something different like Brut or Aqua Velva... Old Spice is the one I remember seeing the most though in dad's, grampa liked his Aqua Velva though, that was his 'go to', he kept more variety than dad did

My dad did not wear a/s as far as I can remember.In fact I have a partial bottle of Old Spice a/s and talc in a box somewhere.One year when I'm finished unpacking I'll find it and wear it.

My father has always been more of a cologne guy, rather than an aftershave guy. His all time favorite is Preferred Stock. But he has also worn a lot of Canoe, and Pierre Cardin.

Canoe, and Pierre Cardin I like, Preferred Stock not so much.

My father (would be 105 this year; died at 94) seemed to be indifferent to such things. As far as I can remember, he only/always used Mennen Skin Bracer.

My dad is into Brut, Avon Wild Country and Black Suede. Every time I smell Old Spice, I think of Gramps. That was his Aftershave of choice and I have fond memories of splashing tons of OS on my face as a kid.

My dad wore Old Spice and Old Spice Lime.
He eventually stopped wearing AS, but his shaving creams were always lemon-lime, be it Foamy, Barbasol or Edge.

I remember my dad using Brut when I was a kid. I also remember my grandpa (his dad) wearing Old Spice.

Ben

My father wears old spice (still has a bottle of the a/s and cologne on his dresser). I am pretty sure one of my grandfathers wore Clubman Special Reserve.

My Dad wore English Leather, Grey Flannel, Royall Spyce& Lime, British Sterling. I smelled Skin Bracer the other day and suddenly saw my Grandfather's face, guess that was what he wore

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
My dad wore skin bracer, brut, aqua velva, or british sterling. He didn't really stick with one. He had a bottle of Hai Karate for a while but gave it to me as my first AS.

Top Bottom