What's new

New scales for a Red Imp

So I was going to make a set of scales for Itsmedave for his Red Imp that he sent me. I'm working on them, and in the middle of it all I guess he decides he's had enough of straights and decides to sell them all off on BST. Well, I just happened to have a DE that he was interested in so he and I agreed on that and the Imp is now mine. It's one that has been on my short list for a while.

Anyway, the original scales were on it, but they were warped and had shrank so badly that the razor wouldn't close completely - the blade would hit the wedge. So, I decided an american razor needed a domestic wood set of scales and made these out of a piece of walnut burl I had laying around, and a cherry wedge. The best part is that Dave and I both live in Tennessee, and these scales are from trees that were cut here in my town, so it's all local. They are coated with Watco Danish oil and a bazillionty coats of shellac.

The razor itself had been expertly honed by Paco664, but was otherwise unrestored. I polished it up a bit, cleaned the gunk out of the pivot, JB Welded the pivot hole and redrilled it to 1/16 to eliminate slop, and re-blued the tang and spine. The razor was put back together with stainless steel pins and washers.

I think it turned out pretty good, although, honestly, I half-assed the shellac finish and didn't sand it out far enough.

Enough babble... on to the pics:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I got her all honed up tonight and took her for a test shave too. Did real nice, although I want to hit it back on the hone again for some more in-depth edge work. I kinda jacked up Paco's edge when I polished it (sorry brother...)

Hope you all like it.

Jeff

Nice! Did he quit with the Feather too?

Don't know... I just saw that he sold off a ton of staights recently and was quick to offer a trade to me. One comment was something like "I've nicked myself for the last time" or something like that. Hopefully he'll return to the fold someday?

ya know jeff... i would SWEAR that red imp's blade had been snapped in half then rewelded about 1" forward of the tang.... you see what i am talking about?? if you look close you can see what looks like a repair....

I see it. Nope. Two things, one, I did a crappy prep job on the metal before I blued it, and two - if it was welded there, the engraving would be jacked up. Also, when I had it stripped down to bare metal, it was perfect.

I just did a bad bluing job.

Aaaaaaannnddd..... Rust. Rust around the pivot this morning. Ok, maybe bluing it wasn't a good idea? I keep my razors sitting next to a block of camphor too - I'm shocked to see rust. Now I have to disassemble this beast and redo it....

AAAAAARRRRHHH!!!!! :cursing:

Top Bottom