What's new

DMT 325 As Slurry Stone

I need a slurry stone for my Nakayama Maruka. I tried using my DMT 325 to make slurry on just a small part of the J-Nat. It made a slurry, but I could feel scratches on the hone. I rinsed it off, and after it dried, I could feel and see the scratches. I know people use DMT 325 as slurry stone. Does this happen with you? Should I get a DMT extra fine instead? Will the extra fine still leave scratches?

I have a very hard/fine Jnat - and I saw marks in the surface after lapping with a 600 Dmt. I followed that with a 1.2k DMT. I polished those out with 2k wet/dry, then a BBW, then with a Tomo Nagura.

I use a DMT medium grit knife hone, don't know grit size it came in a kit, but this is on a coticule so it probably not much help to you. But it seems to work fine on it.

I had a lot of trouble using my DMT325 as a slurry stone initially, but I've found that the key (besides having it broken in properly), is to use only the weight of the plate itself.

What works for me is to rinse off the plate and hone to be used, place the plate on top, and using only parallel motions to move the plate over the hone (as in, pushing side-to-side and never down), do a "figure eight" pattern. Initially the plate won't even make contact, but as the water runs out the side it will slowly abrade the hone-- slow being the key word here. Just before it feels like it's going to stick, I put a bit more water on the hone and repeat the process.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Im no expert, but the more i use my Jnat, the more polished it gets. Especially down the middle where the Kamisori makes most contact with the hone.

proxy.php

This leads me to think that the smoother the stone the better. A higher grit DMT might be better...but how are the edges?

I need a slurry stone for my Nakayama Maruka. I tried using my DMT 325 to make slurry on just a small part of the J-Nat. It made a slurry, but I could feel scratches on the hone. I rinsed it off, and after it dried, I could feel and see the scratches. I know people use DMT 325 as slurry stone. Does this happen with you? Should I get a DMT extra fine instead? Will the extra fine still leave scratches?

I have found that even the 1200 grit or an extra fine brand new diamond plate is too agressive and will leave scratches, it's best to use one that has mellowed a bit.

I an constantly using my well broken-in and therefore cherished #400 & #600 Atoma plates as a "Diamond Nagura" and have been with good results for years. The more worn out your diamond plates are the better they get for this purpose and I have found that any small shallow scratches get smoothed out during honing or can be polished out with a tomonagura and aren't that big of a deal to begin with. The slurry kicked up by the DN is pure to the host stone and matches the grit perfectly so in this way you get an true sample of how fine the grit of you base stone really is. I have found that even at the 1200 grit a brand new diamond plate is too agressive and will leave scratches

One drawback is that this method does wear out your expensive base stone by defalult. In Japan this is frowned upon, but I do see younger natural stone users using a DN more and more to tame really super hard stones.

The whole idea of using a diamond plate as a DN is very recent and traditionally only a Aichi nagura or a tomonagura were used because a diamond plate up until about 8 years ago was only a dream or unheard of in most circles. Alx

Last edited:
Top Bottom