What's new

My RazoRock King Louis Lather Video

Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought I'd be DE shaving or even stranger, posting a Lather Making Video. But alas, just over 1 year in and here we are....I've had plenty of help from other members, YouTube videos, and how-to guides, so figured I'd try one of my myself to see if I could help anyone, so here is my attempt at a "lather video".

I used the MARCO METHOD and lathered up some RazoRock King Louis Lavender Shave Soap in a Dirty Bird 1.5 Scuttle with a Semogue LE Bristle 2 Brush.

Here are the rules: If you have personally made a "shaving or lather video", feel free to make fun of it all you want :001_tt2:....but, if you haven't made one, pull out your camera or camcorder and see if you can do better, then you are free make fun of me all you want. :w00t:

Without further adieu....here we go....let the mockery begin. :001_tongu

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks awesome. I received confirmation of shipping from Canada Post today. I am waiting on my King Louis line and my Semogue 1250. Great vid.

Nicely done Bruce! Are you loving the new King Louis/888 formula as much as I am? This is one of the best RR soaps yet IMO! Wonderful face feel after the shave!

Nicely done Bruce! Are you loving the new King Louis/888 formula as much as I am? This is one of the best RR soaps yet IMO! Wonderful face feel after the shave!

YES...i've tried quite a few of them and find this one to be the "cream of the crop". i still like Classic, but prefer this one over the others i've tried. nothing wrong with the others, but this one just seems to be in a class of it's own. the 888 is next on my list of items to purchase from IB (thanks to your review)

I don't own a boar brush. If you use this approach with a nice badger brush would you use exactly the same approach or should you shake out some of the water if using a badger?

I don't own a boar brush. If you use this approach with a nice badger brush would you use exactly the same approach or should you shake out some of the water if using a badger?

i've tried it with both...with a badger, i find i have to give it a shake or 2 (depending on which badger you are using).

easiest thing to do is, a couple test lathers like mine. keep track of how many shakes and/or how wet/dry the brush is. after 2 to 3 tests, you'll see what works.

but yes, i find badgers hold more water, so if you don't shake or dab it a bit in the air, it's got too much water.

I don't use boar brushes...my face can't handle the scritch.

At any rate, I would've personally spent more time loading and charged up my brush with more product. The lather in your video is way too much like airy meringue foam for my taste. I will say that it's not very difficult to get the kind of lather I like with the RR cream soap or artisan soap I have.

I won't be trying the KL due to the lanolin, but I would think that it should perform well.

It seems like you were ignoring the largest part of the protolather, the stuff that was up on the sides of the scuttle, while you continued to whip the brush around the bottom of the bowl. I constantly incorporate the stuff from the sides into the overall lather.

Your final lather looks OK, but it's pretty wet and airy. A little less water during loading, a little more loading, and more incorporation during lather making in the scuttle should get you a perfect lather.

It seems like you were ignoring the largest part of the protolather, the stuff that was up on the sides of the scuttle, while you continued to whip the brush around the bottom of the bowl. I constantly incorporate the stuff from the sides into the overall lather.

Your final lather looks OK, but it's pretty wet and airy. A little less water during loading, a little more loading, and more incorporation during lather making in the scuttle should get you a perfect lather.

normally, i do use the stuff all over the sides of the scuttle (and the overflow) and sides of the soap dish which i usually wipe with an index finder and put in the scuttle, but with my video, i was tied to 1 hand operation (tripod for 1st part, then holding camera). i always take the soapy parts from these areas and incorporate them in the lather making.

Great results, Bruce! I am going to have to practice, as I am not getting my lathers quite so creamy. I think I might be loading even more lightly on the puck than I should be.

This kinda makes me want to look into a scuttle. It's been pretty cold here as well recently.

Great video though! And very nice lather! I don't think anyone will be poking fun at you, don't worry.

This kinda makes me want to look into a scuttle. It's been pretty cold here as well recently.

Great video though! And very nice lather! I don't think anyone will be poking fun at you, don't worry.

thanks...i used the same method with MWF today, so if all goes well, i'll try my had at another video. :001_unsur

Top Bottom