What's new

Guys, I really need some opinions on a razor...

From one of our respected members is a almost NOS/Red Ring Eclipse razor cased...is $378 too much?:confused1 Please honest answers and opinions. I want to use it not collect. I am bent on getting it but not sure if its too much.:ohmy:

Last edited:
Alex,I know you have been looking for one and it is beautful,but it is alot of cash----If you can't bargain it down I would keep on looking

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
It is your money Alex, only you know your budget and whether you can afford it or not? I have over payed for some pieces in my collection. But at the time they were affordable. Other times I had to let things go.

if its getting hard to find them and your tired of waiting for one.then its not too much.it might be high but the heart wants what the heart wants

I think there is a difference between how much it's worth and how much it's worth TO YOU. I think they are asking a fair price. Question, is, how bad do you want it? I want one but I am not prepared to drop that much for one right now. Just my two cents. Good luck, alex! You deserve one!

Alex,I know you have been looking for one and it is beautful,but it is alot of cash----If you can't bargain it down I would keep on looking
+1 ... its more than I would spend for almost ANYTHING, let alone a razor.
Especially if its a razor I want to shave with, rather than collect for the sake of collecting.

Remember,
once you use it the first time,
it won't ever be so pristine again,
and it will NEVER be almost NOS.

Have you shaved with a RedRing before?

Even I got one for free,
I don't think it would be that much better
than any of the five I currently have in active rotation.

I will try, I agree with you.

It is your money Alex, only you know your budget and whether you can afford it or not? I have over payed for some pieces in my collection. But at the time they were affordable. Other times I had to let things go.
I want it...but dont want to overpay niether:ohmy:

Pass. For that Price...no way. Just my 2 cents.
your 2 cents of an opinion is are worth a fortune in helping me:001_smile

if its getting hard to find them and your tired of waiting for one.then its not too much.it might be high but the heart wants what the heart wants
They do come up, but not like others. I can be pateint:001_smile

I think there is a difference between how much it's worth and how much it's worth TO YOU. I think they are asking a fair price. Question, is, how bad do you want it? I want one but I am not prepared to drop that much for one right now. Just my two cents. Good luck, alex! You deserve one!
Thanks Iron, you deserve the best too.....The price is fair but I dont want to jump the gun either. Maybe there are fairer prices out there.:mellow:

Sounds like you know the answer already!
Phil, I dont want to fool myself..Thats why I'm asking here. Maybe I do have the answer, but I want reassurance too:001_smile

+1 ... its more than I would spend for almost ANYTHING, let alone a razor.
Especially if its a razor I want to shave with, rather than collect for the sake of collecting.

Remember,

Have you shaved with a RedRing before?

Even I got one for free,
I don't think it would be that much better
than any of the five I currently have in active rotation.
DP, your in the Dept of Defense and I trust your opinion. But no I havent used one. I do I agree that is a fine razor from other opinions not by using it. Maybe I should buy a cheaper one to see if i like it?:confused1

+1. I'm not a collector anywhere near your level, Alex, but I cannot possibly advise anyone to spend that much money on a razor. I'd never drop that much cash on a razor unless someone was holding a gun to my head.

I will give you the same advice I received many years ago from a retired army colonel about collecting.

"Always buy the finest you can find regardless of price. It is better to over pay for something in perfect condition than to save money on something that is not perfect. If you do not get the best you can find it will cost you more in the long run as you will soon be searching for something better to replace it."

And as an addendum to my previous post if you're not going to buy it... would you mind telling me who the seller is? Pretty please? BTW turtle is dead on

I think "almost NOS" is a bit reaching. Almost pregnant comes to mind.
It seems likely the price given condition and case is what it might fetch on the bay if two or three people really want one.

If you are buying it to use it, maybe post a WTB for $200 for an uncased one. As one of our members is known to say, "You can't shave with a case."

If you think you'll be filled with regret if you don't buy it, and can afford to drop that kind of money on an old razor you don't really need, buy it!
Just don't plan on getting all your money back if you decide to sell.

The way I see it, Mark1966 raves on about the Eclipse Red Ring and he owns (and I guess has probably tried) almost every Gillette there is. I think that's a pretty good indication of how good the razor is.

Personally, I wouldn't pay that much for any safety razor. Do you think NOS is worth the premium? Would you miss the money?

Good luck with your decision.

I have not been impressed with the shaves ffrom my Red Rings. Great collectible just not the greatest shaver.

I'm not sure if the Eclipse razor is what's biting you, or the "NOS" condition, but there's a user on ebay right now, from the UK, sitting at $85(2 days & change left). Overall condition looks good, though the ring is worn pretty well off. Being me, I'd buy that, refin in rhodium, and use Duracoat to repaint the ring, buuut...:closedeye

If that were "my baby", I'd probably be willing to go $150-200(at auction) + refinish cost.

The way I see it, Mark1966 raves on about the Eclipse Red Ring and he owns (and I guess has probably tried) almost every Gillette there is. I think that's a pretty good indication of how good the razor is.

Personally, I wouldn't pay that much for any safety razor. Do you think NOS is worth the premium? Would you miss the money?

Good luck with your decision.
Its about the ring worth and function, i tried almost all razors except this one, but its not an indicator of my decision :001_smile

I have not been impressed with the shaves ffrom my Red Rings. Great collectible just not the greatest shaver.
Thanks Jake, too aggressive or passive?

I'd pay $250 - $275 tops for a cased Red Ring as shown in your first post.

But... that's probably why I don't yet own a Red Ring.
I think 275 tops is average too...............:ohmy:

I'm not sure if the Eclipse razor is what's biting you, or the "NOS" condition, but there's a user on ebay right now, from the UK, sitting at $85(2 days & change left). Overall condition looks good, though the ring is worn pretty well off. Being me, I'd buy that, refin in rhodium, and use Duracoat to repaint the ring, buuut...:closedeye

If that were "my baby", I'd probably be willing to go $150-200(at auction) + refinish cost.
And after all is tallied up it may eaqul 350 plus, but is a good idea with a beat up Eclipse though:wink2:

Top Bottom