What's new

Oil on a strop is like a coated DE blade

Question to all. You know how your supposed to rub your hand on your strop to put a little oil on it before you strop your str8. Does this oil act like the teflon/other coating used on DE blades so that they cut better? I know the amount of oil is very small but maybe this amount of oil helps the blade slip past the skin better than a dry strop.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think the oil is more to help keep the leather conditioned than to do anything with the edge.

Does this oil act like the teflon/other coating used on DE blades so that they cut better?

No, it doesn't. First off it's running through lather which is soap and will promptly strip it away, but even if you were shaving lather-less it wouldn't help since your skin and whiskers are oleophilic and will promptly wick it off the blade

I use an oil to condition a strop and add draw to it if I wish.

I haven't been able to find neatsfoot oil around - I wouldn't even know where to pick it up (I'm assuming leather store but I'm not even sure where one of those are). I've gone to a sporting goods store and picked up baseball glove conditioner and used that which works very well. Make sure you read the package before you buy it - there are some wacky ones that have instructions about applying the oil and then baking the leather in an oven. The one I picked up said it just contained neatsfoot oil and cost about 5 bucks.

The amount of oil used may depend on the strop - I put oil on a horsehide strop and it sucked it down like nobody's business to where I had to use more than I ever expected. My latigo though didn't need hardly any. I decided to use the oil as for some reason I can never remember to rub my strops daily with my hands.

Top Bottom