What's new

Cleaning Linen

Any advice on cleaning an old linen strop? Mine is pretty bad and in need of some help. Could I throw it in the washing machine?

Haven't cleaned a new linen strop, but I have cleaned a couple of vintage firehose linen pieces (took them to the dry-cleaners first, but they told me to hand-wash it instead). First, soak the thing in a small hand tub filled with cold water and a splash of Ivory liquid or Woolite for delicates. Then, from time to time, brush the fibers with an old tooth brush in the stains using a light touch. Allow to soak for a few hours and then rinse with a few changes of fresh cold water in the hand tub. Afterwards, remove excess water from strop by sandwiching it between a fold of a towel on a tabletop, and then pressing out the excess with a rolling pin starting from the center and moving outwards towards both ends. And finally, allow to dry for several hours between another fold of a towel on a flat floor or table top with large, heavy books resting on top of all the length. Upon removal, the strop should be suitably cleaned and pressed.

Haven't cleaned a new linen strop, but I have cleaned a couple of vintage firehose linen pieces (took them to the dry-cleaners first, but they told me to hand-wash it instead). First, soak the thing in a small hand tub filled with cold water and a splash of Ivory liquid or Woolite for delicates. Then, from time to time, brush the fibers with an old tooth brush in the stains using a light touch. Allow to soak for a few hours and then rinse with a few changes of fresh cold water in the hand tub. Afterwards, remove excess water from strop by sandwiching it between a fold of a towel on a tabletop, and then pressing out the excess with a rolling pin starting from the center and moving outwards towards both ends. And finally, allow to dry for several hours between another fold of a towel on a flat floor or table top with large, heavy books resting on top of all the length. Upon removal, the strop should be suitably cleaned and pressed.

This is the exact procedure I use and it works quite well. Cold water and Woolite wash.

I also added a small amount of vinegar to the rinse. I then placed it between a towel and laid on the floor and stepped on it from center out, changed towel and then placed books on it over night. If the strop was pasted, you will need to paste again.

Wow,
I just picked up two vintage strops with firehouse like linens, so this post is just what I was looking for.
Thank you yet again B&B!!!!

Thanks

I will try that method. My linen is no longer white and I am pretty sure its over 50 years old.

Top Bottom