What's new

Witch Hazel price fixing? (Price has pentupled in 2 years)

I live in California, and every major retailer has, within the last two years, dropped the previous line of Witch Hazel they were selling for about $1.19 a bottle, and now sells TN Dickinson's (which is horribly overpriced anyway) for about $7 a bottle, and a knock-off brand for a dollar or two less - $4.50 to $5.50.

Is there some war, disease/pest, change in demand, or other legitimate factor that has jacked the price of Witch Hazel up through the roof? Or was the Pest just some corporate jerk who noticed that a bigger profit could be turned by carrying TN Dickinson's and then something that looks like it's reasonably priced?

Seriously, what the heck is going on?

I wondered too. Maybe the demand has increased? Or maybe the witch hazel is getting harder to source, so the manufacturers are charging more? I think there are only one or two industrial-quantity producers, despite the variety of retail labels.

Down here WH costs between $4 to $6 for store brand and Dickinson's respectively. Thayers goes for a bit more.

I just priced Thayers at a local health food store and it was $10.59 for the bottle.
IIRC, my current bottle of Dickinson's, bought at my local grocery store, was around $2.50 back in November.

It's like the price of gas and groceries: rising higher all the time. Someone sneezes in Siberia and gas goes up. An orange falls from the tree to the ground in a Florida grove and groceries go up. It's the new era of greed: if demand rises, kill the competiton and jack up the prices as quickly as possible (and source it out to China, so profits will reach dizzying heights). I have seen TN Dickinson's relabel the same witch hazel, reduce the portion, and quadruple the price.

Last edited:
I look when I'm out for a good price on WH, and when I find it I'll grab a couple of bottles. I know its usually around $2.50 around these parts.

I live in California, and every major retailer has, within the last two years, dropped the previous line of Witch Hazel they were selling for about $1.19 a bottle, and now sells TN Dickinson's (which is horribly overpriced anyway) for about $7 a bottle, and a knock-off brand for a dollar or two less - $4.50 to $5.50.

Is there some war, disease/pest, change in demand, or other legitimate factor that has jacked the price of Witch Hazel up through the roof? Or was the Pest just some corporate jerk who noticed that a bigger profit could be turned by carrying TN Dickinson's and then something that looks like it's reasonably priced?

Here in Boston area, I just picked up a 12 oz. bottle of Thayer's Witch Hazel w/Aloe vera at the local health store for $8.79.

Gene

I always use Dickinson's. Depending on the store the price can vary up to $2. I usually buy it at the grocery for convenience. I think the yellow label runs about $3.50 and the blue label around $4.50. I could find it cheaper, but then I'd just spend any savings in gas.

I get mine at DOLLAR TREE. It is just as good as Dickinson's, and there are only a few producers anyway. What it comes down to is that a large factory makes millions of gallons of WH, then runs them through a bottling line. One line for one manufacturer.... maybe all of the 'private labels' on another machine.

When I worked for HJ Heinz, there was a dog and cat food production plant in Bloomsburg, PA. They would label 9-lives... then stop the can flow, change labels, and be putting IGA labels on the cans.. then Shop-rite, Wal-Mart, Kroger... you name it. That plant made every private label cat food and several name brands - the only difference was the label on the can.

It all comes down to what you want to pay for. I have used Dickenson's and CVS... they are right there with the dollar store brand. Give it a try - with this particular product, I don't think there is any difference at all. Just my 2 cents..

Paul

Some people pay more instead of shopping around, once companies figured out their shopping habits they put the screws on.

Solution- shop around.

Interesting now that you mention it.
I remember not too many years ago SWMBO keeping around bottles that looked the same as rubbing alcohol. Frosted white bottles, generic label... nothing special, don't even recall the branding.

I get mine at DOLLAR TREE. It is just as good as Dickinson's, and there are only a few producers anyway. What it comes down to is that a large factory makes millions of gallons of WH, then runs them through a bottling line. One line for one manufacturer.... maybe all of the 'private labels' on another machine.

When I worked for HJ Heinz, there was a dog and cat food production plant in Bloomsburg, PA. They would label 9-lives... then stop the can flow, change labels, and be putting IGA labels on the cans.. then Shop-rite, Wal-Mart, Kroger... you name it. That plant made every private label cat food and several name brands - the only difference was the label on the can.

It all comes down to what you want to pay for. I have used Dickerson's and CVS... they are right there with the dollar store brand. Give it a try - with this particular product, I don't think there is any difference at all. Just my 2 cents..

Paul

Had a friend who worked at a dairy plant who told me how they would change the labels/cartons on the assembly line.

Same milk just different label.

Hmmm...what are the odds the generic witch hazels at the Dollar Store etc are made by Dickenson? :001_rolle

Top Bottom