What's new

Looking for certain brush qualities.

For years I used a boar brush, and not knowing better I was happy. I bought a Kingsley pure bristle brush and threw the boar brush in the trash, never to look back because I was happy. I started reading B&B and bought a C&E Super Badger. The C&E SB is quite luxurious, but too floppy; I have gone back to the Kingsley Pure Bristle. What I would really like to find is a brush midway between the Kingsley, and the C&E Super in size. I would also like a brush that had the same backbone as the pure badger, yet tips as soft as the super badger. Is there such an animal, and if so, what brush is it?
I know this is not easy, but I have found that this group is capable of rising to a challenge.
Thanks in Advance. Ken.

For years I used a boar brush, and not knowing better I was happy. I bought a Kingsley pure bristle brush and threw the boar brush in the trash, never to look back because I was happy. I started reading B&B and bought a C&E Super Badger. The C&E SB is quite luxurious, but too floppy; I have gone back to the Kingsley Pure Bristle. What I would really like to find is a brush midway between the Kingsley, and the C&E Super in size. I would also like a brush that had the same backbone as the pure badger, yet tips as soft as the super badger. Is there such an animal, and if so, what brush is it?
I know this is not easy, but I have found that this group is capable of rising to a challenge.
Thanks in Advance. Ken.

Ken - a couple of questions:

Soaps, creams or both?

Mug/scuttle or face latherer?

Short or long handle?

Price range?

If you answer these questions, you'll get much better suggestions.

Ken - a couple of questions:

Soaps, creams or both?

Mug/scuttle or face latherer?

Short or long handle?

Price range?

If you answer these questions, you'll get much better suggestions.

Thanks for the input.
Being more specific:
I go mostly for soaps, Lather on the face, Like medium to longer handle, and I don't want to have a five year payment plan. OK, that last crack was a joke, but I want the best value available that allows me to get the listed qualities.
Thanks, Ken.

Rooney style 1 is a scrubby brush with soft tips IMO. It has a short loft contributing to the resilience. I haven't tried a style 3 but I do have a style 2 and it is also a wonderful brush. The longer loft making it a bit softer for me then the style 1.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Ken, A Simpson Tulip would be a great addition...and it has most likely the most beautiful (non authentic horn or sterling silver) handle on the planet.

In looking an the afore mentioned brushes I see no mention of hair type. Are we talking silver-tip, best, or???
Thanks, Ken.

In looking an the afore mentioned brushes I see no mention of hair type. Are we talking silver-tip, best, or???
Thanks, Ken.

Genuine ($65) or Super ($75) Silvertip, if we're talking about the Rooney. The Super will be more 'white' at the tips, and not as 'grey'. Best of luck.

J

The Rooney #1 small is a perfect brush for face-lathering, but it has a short handle, the Rooney #3 small is a little longer in terms of loft and handle.

The Rooney brushes are great value for my money, I'd stick with the "genuine" silvertip and save yourself a couple of bucks - great grade of hair, soft tips, but good backbone for soaps. Mine has a very densely-packed knot.

The Simpson Duke 2 in "best" is a good deal (around $85 - 90), but again has a short handle.

Other good choices are Shavemacs (finest or silvertip) and QED's Saville Row silvertips.

Top Bottom