What's new

The Benji- my first blended scotch whisky

Up until now I admit being a wee bit of a whisky snob in that I have been sampling only single malt scotch whiskies. Actually the reason has less to do with snobbery and more to do with the fact that I wanted to get to know the different styles of malt from the major regions of Scotland. Thus I have delved into the Islay, Highland, Speyside and Lowland malts with gusto.I picked up Jim Murray's whisky bible for my iPad and have found it an excellent guide to the world of scotch. One of the whiskies to receive his coveted 'golden drop' is a blend called the Bailie Nicol Jarvey (BNJ or Benji as the Scots call it). I picked up a bottle and am blown away by how good it is, especially given the price. I should pause at this point to say that here in our beloved nanny state of Australia we pay through the nose for anything that may hurt us, cigars, booze, and probably, in the future, paper too (because it causes nasty paper cuts). The upshot is that a bottle of single malt like Ardbeg or Laphroaig runs about 80-90 AUD even at a time when our dollar is slightly higher than the US.The Benji cost me $35 which is an absolute bargain by our prices and lower than Chivas, Johnnie Walker Etc. besides being a bargain it is a wonderfully complex dram that reminds me a little of Talisker. There is smoke and pepper and a hint of peat without the medicinal profile typical if Islay whiskies. It is also sweet, fruity and malty and I have found it a well balanced dram.As an introduction to the world of blends it ticks the boxes for both flavor and price. If you like Islay whisky and Skye whisky I would imagine you'll enjoy the Benji.I know there are some really knowledgable scotch guys here and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this dram.Pete

I can't afford to be too knowledgeable about this sort of thing, but I wish I could. I went to a distillery in Scotland called Glengoyne. It was a nice visit and the scotch is pretty good. Ever try Glengoyne? Thanks for the heads up on the BNJ. I'll look for it and if I find it I'll try to post my thoughts. Personally, if I like a drink, I don't care what anyone else thinks. That's just me.

I can't afford to be too knowledgeable about this sort of thing, but I wish I could. I went to a distillery in Scotland called Glengoyne. It was a nice visit and the scotch is pretty good. Ever try Glengoyne? Thanks for the heads up on the BNJ. I'll look for it and if I find it I'll try to post my thoughts. Personally, if I like a drink, I don't care what anyone else thinks. That's just me.

+1 and well stated at that.

I've never actually seen BNJ in a brick and mortar, but I'm going continue to keep my eyes peeled just in case I get lucky.

Try the Scapa 16-Year-Old Orkney Single Malt Whisky...Never ever buy blended whisky to me it's like golf "a good walk spolit"...Take a sip & if to harsh then drop some water into the whisky.Bite/swirl it while in the mouth to soak in the flavours then swallow slowly.

I have tried a few blends and I can honestly say I have enjoyed them all. I have used Jim Murray's whisky bible as a guide and sampled Ballantines Finest, JW Black, and JW Green. I accept they are not quite as intense as a malt but for a fraction of the price you get a very decent dram.Pete

While I've never had a single malt, I know I know blasphemy. But I always find after starting on the cheap and growing to appreciate it you like to good even more...and being in college doesnt help. JWB is my favorite so far, I've been wanting to try JWG and Black Bottle. Black bottle is another very affordable option that I've heard good things about.

Try the Scapa 16-Year-Old Orkney Single Malt Whisky...Never ever buy blended whisky to me it's like golf "a good walk spolit"...Take a sip & if to harsh then drop some water into the whisky.Bite/swirl it while in the mouth to soak in the flavours then swallow slowly.

I would surmise you single malt person enjoy the JW Green because it is blend of only single malts vs traditional Scotch blends being a large portion nuetral spirits. I too fell in love the JW Green when I picked up a bottle at the Heathrow duty free store in 2002... And if you have the means a bottle of JW Blue is a treat... I picked up one of these on my way back from Cancun a few years ago and have been treating it like the liquid gold it is.

For an everyday blend though it is hard to beat JW Black, my personal favorite... and if you can get over the snob factory The Famous Grouse is pretty good as well (by the way TFG is the #1 selling blend in Scotland so they must be doing something right)

I lived the UK for a few years in the early 90's and had ample opportunity to visit several distileries and the only thing I can say for sure is that I don't realy care for the Lowland Malts, too tame, and some of the Speyside's aren't all the great, kind of lacking if one area or another... but as there are so many in Speyside there are also plenty of good ones... Skyes, Orkneys, Campbeltowns and most Highlands are damn fine, with ones from Islay like Lagavulin and Laphroaig being about as big and bold as any Scotch you'll ever have the pleasure to taste.

But I think there is probably none better that is within reach of the common man than 18YO MacCallan, current vintages going somewhere between $100 and $150 a bottle... mines almost gone so time to pony up.

Slàinte mhòr agad!

Last edited:
Top Bottom