What's new

Anyone else feel like giving up your tools is like giving up your independence?

I have been faced with the predicament of: Stay in my house with a tyrant father, or go to an apartment with a mother who I know "Had" (not sure if still!) a drinking problem.

The father keeps threatening psychiatric interment when he does not get his way. Mother well, has historically been a bit of a.. female dog...

Trouble is, stuck in the middle of all this are my hobbies! I weld and woodwork... unfortunately I have a hunch the super won't let me do either in the apartment. If I stay I might end up in with Larry the Nut! Sort of like the old Clash song "Should I stay or should I go.."

The apartment is nice, third floor (That is tall in our town!) etc.

To me it feels like by giving up my tools I will be in essence surrendering my independence! Nothing is more satisfying than to bond two pieces of steel together or build a table out of Ash...

Anyone else feel sort of the same way?

The only thing that I can suggest is see if a friend will let you store your metal & woodworking stuff at their place & then get an apartment until you can find a place where you can regain you hobbies. I would suggest leaving you treasured items at either your mothers or fathers, but they might one day "disappear" forever.

Wish I could help more.

Is moving out on your own an option? Otherwise tough it out with the tyrant father until you save enough to move out on your own. The worst thing to do is to move in the apartment.

Thats not an option yet. I do want to finish out high school and go through Pre-Law first atleast.

I suppose perhaps what I will do is sell off what I can't store and just wait.. because I realised that either way I am going to an apt at some point, as I doubt I will find a cheap house in Boston, or London, or somewhere else for college.

If I owned an apartment and found out you were welding in it I would kick your *** out so fast your head would spin.

17 as of a couple weeks ago life2short.

Hmm.. gawd this is a pickle..
If I was you I would join the military and get the hell away from the freak show and never look back. That sounds like the plan unless you can afford to pay your schoolin and rent too which if that was option you wouldn't be askin us. Also unless you have several thousand tied up in your goodies sell thema ll and buy better later. A storage unit is $80-$90 a month and thats close to a grand a year. Trust me loose the baggage and run!

I am more the intellectual type; I think I would spend half the time making the Drill Sgt's head spin with conundrums and such :p...

So, how proficient of a welder are you? Have you considered some classes at a local tech college, if not only to get your certification so that your talents are "official"? You could then get a decent paying job and move out on your own, mind you it may be a year or two down the road. Welders, carpenters and other tradesmen can make good money if they play their cards right.

Sorry, I know that's much immediate help.

I only weld for hobby... however that isn't really the path I want to take, unless it's as a part time job.... I intend fully to become a Lawyer... granted I do suppose being a Welding Lawyer could give a whole new meaning to putting a fire under someones arse! lol

I am more the intellectual type; I think I would spend half the time making the Drill Sgt's head spin with conundrums and such :p...

If you want to be the "intellectual type" then you have to act it, starting with getting better grades (you mentioned in the other thread that you are a "B & C" student). I don't know many good four year colleges that will accept students with that type of grades unless they score really high on the SAT.

If your parents are willing to pay for your school, consider yourself lucky and try to get in the best college you can and live on campus. If they don't/can't then your option is a Junior College which can be more difficult than a four year college because there is very little support. Every student in a JC is on his/her own and it takes an enormous amount of discipline and hard work to transfer from a JC to a four year college. Very few students transfer in two years.

There is a reason a few of us (safe to say with more life experience than you) have recommended the military. Rethink whatever preconceived notions you might have about the military. The military will give you structure, discipline, skills...and you will be more ready for your studies after the military.

Top Bottom