What's new

Comprehensive BnB unsolicited compliments thread

Here we list which frags led to *unsolicited* compliments during your lifetime. I'm not talking about asking your SWMBO "what do you think of this one" and she raves about it. I'm talking just going about your business in life, and out of the blue someone you know or don't know brings up how great you smell.

I have only have one unsolicited compliment that I can thing of in all these years. It was over 10 years ago when a female friend of mine at a bar said I smelled good. It was Lucky You for men (that one in the green bottle that they now sell at Walmart in those travel sizes).

In the past couple of years, I distinctly remember it happening twice and both times with Montale's. Once with Black Aoud and another with Full Incense.

I have received unsolicited compliments on quite a few fragrances. Some of the notable are; Creed's Bois du Portugal, Santal Imperial, Windsor, Silver Mountain Water. Crown's Spiced Limes, Dior's Leather Oud, Lalique's Encre Noire.

Admittedly, there are quite a few more, but from folks that know of my hobby, so they might have failed to garner truly unsolicited compliments otherwise. There have even been a couple where I have been followed around so they could smell it some more (Windsor and Leather Oud come to mind). The SMW, BdP, Spiced Limes, and the Leather Oud have earned them outright, completely out of the blue, from strangers.

My Mileage Varies!

Last edited:
Admittedly, there are quite a few more, but from folks that know of my hobby, so they might have otherwise failed to garner truly unsolicited compliments otherwise.

I'm glad you said this. There are times when I walk around the house and my wife says "you smell good". But she knows I like fragrances and I don't consider this in the same category.

Schad, that green Lucky stuffy isn't bad. I wouldn't consider it cologne, but a high end Axe Body Spray.

It was one of my go-to scents -- this was probably over 10 years ago when I was a few years out of college. Don't think I'd like it now. But at least it got me a compliment!!!!

I am very much a noob to fragrance in all respects. My standby's are Grey Flannel, Polo (green), and now T&H Spanish Leather. There was a period of three months back in 2004 or so where I work Axe Kilo (it just came out, didn't smell bad, and EVERYONE was doing it. :001_tt2:)

I have unsolicited comments on the Grey Flannel a couple of times with women trying to figure out what it was. At work, the Polo gets some "you smell nice" comments, but by far of all the ones that have surprised me is the reaction to Knize Twenty.

About two weeks ago I received a PIF from Archerfire that had Knize Twenty as one of the vintage scents. I decided that as I would be going out and about for the day running errands I would try it out. So a drop behind each ear and off I went. I honestly forgot I was wearing it and went to dinner and when I was seated the hostess mentioned I smell nice and asked what the scent was, so I told her. As I ate dinner, my glass was refilled by three different waitresses, with one of them also commenting on how nice I smelled. I got the feeling there was one of those "You have to go smell that guy" things going on. Now, if I was single, I would've been happy as can be...but, I was with my girlfriend and she was not amused, so I got the whole "Are they better than me" treatment for a couple of days.

It is weird, because to me Knize Twenty is an OK scent, but not what I would consider a "weapon of seduction" which is the effect that occurred when I wore it. Now I must preface this with I am 28, average looking, and was running errands in Norman, OK. The two smells men have in that town are Axe products for the OU students and horse manure covered by Stetson or Tim McGraw scents. So, more than likely the attention was due to just being different. Either way, the Knize Twenty is being back shelved for the sake of my relationship.

I've had a few fragrances over the years, but never wore them often.

As this "shaving hobby" as escalated over the past years, I have acquired more fragrances and started to wear them more - maybe not every day, but almost.

So within the last couple of years I have had two unsolicited comments; one for Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet and one for Truefitt & Hills Spanish Leather.
Both are scents I really like myself, so it is nice to hear that others do too :001_smile

I mostly get negative comments...for some reason my coworkers can detect 1 ppb of patchouli in any fragrance and say I smell like a dirty hippie.

I've only gotten one or two good ones. Once wearing black aoud someone came in the room and said "ooooh something smells heavenly"

I think people may notice your scent and might think it smells good but unless they are trying to start a conversation with you I think most people don't feel comfortable commenting on it.

Unbound for Men by Halston - the receptionist at my doctor's office. she's kind of rude, too, so that was a weird moment. but she definitely liked Unbound.

Green Irish Tweed - surprisingly very few from this one. my ex-girlfriend wasn't really a big fan. but a couple of the ladies at work recently complimented me on it. one of them gave me a big hug and then said I smelled really good.

Original Vetiver - ridiculous compliment machine, this one is. work, play, and even a wedding a couple summers ago, nonstop compliments from everyone who smells it. don't know what it is, but people go nuts over this one, mostly women.

Allure Homme - my college frag. several instances I can remember girls commenting favorably on that one as well.

http://frompyrgos.blogspot.com/

I haven't had many comments either way. One coworker always remarks when I wear 88 around him but it is just a "you wearing cologne? Is that Old Spice?" kind of remark. He doesn't ever notice any other frag. Had a checkout girl at the coffee shop remark positively about C&S Cuba and ask me what it was one morning when I had overapplied to the point of embarrassment. I've had a twenty year old student intern and a fifty year old female collague both compliment DC1913 proving it has appeal broadly. But the best compliment ever was when my youngest daughter, who was probably six, snuggled into my chest when I was wearing Burts Bees Bay Rum and with a big smile looked up and said, "You smell like pumpkin pie!"

A few that I can remember:

ck be
RL Chaps (the original)
Old Spice

I'm sure there are more that I'm not remembering.

For completely unsolicited, not from the wife, compliments:

Montale Patchouli Leaves
Montale Red Vetyver
Creed Orginial Vetiver

Hugo Boss No. 1 got me a "you smell pretty" comment from one of the boys at work - I'm quite sure it wasn't a compliment.

Keep in mind that I work alone in a lab most of the time and the rest in my office but I do go to a lot of meetings.

Once two major league project engineers (both woman) walk into a meeting and commented on Dunhill Edition that I was wearing. They liked it.
Another time (at a meeting) a female co-worker said " who is wearing something flowery". I was wearing Tabac! Got a compliment on Tabac. My wife doesn't like it though. Who cares.

Interesting question. A few for which I recall receiving unsolicited compliments over the years:

Ralph Lauren Romance - by two female coworkers
Acqua di Gio - by a Starbucks barista
Chanel Allure Homme Sport - by a female coworker
Guerlain L'Instant - by a lady in an elevator

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren gets me unsolicited comments quite often. Also on a strange note I get very positive comments when wearing nothing but Old Spice Aqua Reef deodorant.

Lavanda Nobile, and I really don't know why. First compliment came from my mother, and every subsequent from a female person her age or near her age. And there were many, especially when compared to anything else I might have worn. They could market this scent as 'The Motherlover'.

On a far second place is l'Occitan. Whenever I wear it, my kids giggle ("Daddy smells")

Great idea for a thread! I've only had a couple that I recall. Both from female co-workers. One co-worker in her 50s loved Pen's Sartorial. Another in her 20s (and pregnant = very sensitive to smell) pretty much swooned over Straight to Heaven by Kilian. Though I wear scents for my own enjoyment, it's a really nice feeling when someone has to ask what it is that I am wearing.

Top Bottom