What's new

Aristocrat #66 or #70?

Hi there,
Never ending story is it? I have read the most threads about this. Well in my hand (well not just while I am typing) I have this baby and I can´t seem to determine what is should be called.
- Yes it does have the II markings
- The patent 694093
- And yes it´s SO shiny. Head is clearly nickel, handle is- well it´s shiny to say the least!
- My kitchen scale weights it up to 76 grams (obviously no aluminium)
- The case it came with was the greenish case without a crown (obviously as it has a patent number- making it to a after 1955). Neither crownS as I have seen on the french cases.

As I have read after quite some time of reading mind you:) no one has provided some measurements using callipers on the handle. My suggestion, can anyone with a callipers and a dead sure #66 (patent pending?) provide us with some information? Somewhere I read that the handle of the #70 was thicker.
Well just a way to to try to enlighten us all? What do you think?
/Henrik

Sounds like a #66 coronation set.

proxy.php

Thanks, but i read that thread too. BTW does not the handle`s nodge look pecualiar? But hey, let´s not get carried on way on to my question shalll we. Has the #70 a thicker handle??? That´s my theory at this moment- to be able to seperate the two apart.
/Henrik

The easiest way for me to tell if a razor is rhodium plated or nickel plated is to put it next to a razor I know is nickel plated. The luster of rhodium is noticeably whiter than nickel, which is gray.

Thanks, but i read that thread too. BTW does not the handle`s nodge look pecualiar? But hey, let´s not get carried on way on to my question shalll we. Has the #70 a thicker handle??? That´s my theory at this moment- to be able to seperate the two apart.
/Henrik

for me, it´s the same razor, I can´t see or weight any differences between my #66 and my #70

Must be tiresome to you must be answering to this question all the TIME:sad: I have no other rhodium plated razor so i can´t compare. BUT several others confirmed that the weight of the two was different, Fine, kitchen scales and all that (as I have) but I think still the callipers of the actual handle finally settles this(?) But of course I can finally settle this myself by buying a DEFINITIVE rhodium razor and compare I assume. But I read from some thread that the weight actually differ and possibly the handle´thickness ihold the answer to what differs them two. Alas; the big question is WHAT differs a #66 to an #70?? My suggestion again is the hanlde´s thickness.
...And do the perform the similar ("shavewise")?

Last edited:
Henrik,

I have a 70 and it's a rare and a stunning the razor. It's identical to the 66 and the only diff I believe is the 66 is Rhodium plated and the 70 is highly polished nickel plated. My 70 weighs 73 grms on a digital scale and it was made from 1960 onwards.

Henrik,

I have a 70 and it's a rare and a stunning the razor. It's identical to the 66 and the only diff I believe is the 66 is Rhodium plated and the 70 is highly polished nickel plated. My 70 weighs 73 grms on a digital scale and it was made from 1960 onwards.

the 1958 Ad shows the #70:

proxy.php

Last edited:
The easiest way for me to tell if a razor is rhodium plated or nickel plated is to put it next to a razor I know is nickel plated. The luster of rhodium is noticeably whiter than nickel, which is gray.

My apologizes everyone. This razor was my second vintage. As a newbie of vintage razors I am just intrigued by all this! As for this discussion and (Achims #70 ad) I gather the difference is in fact the nickel in the #70 and the rhodium in the #66. I just kept pushing since I saw below picture from a previous thread and that was interesting! But hey I am a rookie! Well I am on a hunt to get myself a rhodium razor so I can compare. Any suggestions of which Aristocrat to have a look out for? The #16 looks awful nice... Kind rgds Henrik

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom