What's new

Cheap, healthy, fun meal ideas to cook at home.

i am stealing/borrowing from westpac, but this is one of the easiest most tasteful recipes i know:

Ingredients

½ lb.Ground Pork or Turkey sausage, uncooked
1 can (14.5 oz.)Tomatoes, diced
1 can (14.75 oz.)Beef broth
2 cupsRanchero Blend
1 cupWhole Kernel Corn
½ tsp.Cumin, ground
½ tsp.Chili powder

What is "Ranchero Blend"?

OK, its some kind of prepackaged vegetable blend. Not sure where it's sold, but according to the web site, there are no retailers in Pennsylvania. Actually, I try to avoid packaged products like this, particularly when I can pick up fresh veggies, sometimes even locally grown.I could duplicate it if I knew the ingredients and proportions, of course. Which is something I don't have from the manufacturer's page. Bottom line: As interesting as the recipe sounds, it's useless for me.

OK, its some kind of prepackaged vegetable blend. Not sure where it's sold, but according to the web site, there are no retailers in Pennsylvania. Actually, I try to avoid packaged products like this, particularly when I can pick up fresh veggies, sometimes even locally grown.I could duplicate it if I knew the ingredients and proportions, of course. Which is something I don't have from the manufacturer's page. Bottom line: As interesting as the recipe sounds, it's useless for me.
this is actually a really easy good recipe...i made my own version tonight, as the store where i previously had bought the "rachero" blend stopped selling it....instead of ranchero blend i used a 14 oz can of red beans, one green pepper, 2 chopped medium onions and a couple of chopped cloves of garlic...i sauteed the peppers, onions and garlic, but otherwise followed the westpac recipe. for what it is worth i have a picky 5 year old who proudly told his 2 year sister (who eats anything in sight) that he beat her...he ate two bowls of soup before she did, and now he got to have desert.

I tend to do lots of simple, light evening meals.

One which meets the Chief's approval is simple broccoli- stir-fried with garlic and chilli (or XO Sauce if you have it), a little oyster sauce and a few drops of soy....... served over rice or noodles.

Top Bottom