What's new

Honing New Straight?

I want to start using a str8 but I am a little confused about honing. I have talked with several vendors that say a Dovo doesn't need to be honed straight away because they are already honed at the factory. Can somebody comment on this?

They are honed at the factory, but the attention given to each one varies, and it's rare to have one right out of the box shave ready.

Additionally, any str8 should be stropped every time before shaving. This is what grants the smoothness of the blade.

I want to start using a str8 but I am a little confused about honing. I have talked with several vendors that say a Dovo doesn't need to be honed straight away because they are already honed at the factory. Can somebody comment on this?

Needs to be honed before using first. They say they are but I would not shave with it. Get it and have one of us here hone it for you the first time till you learn how

Does not matter what anyone says all new razors NEED to be honed to be shave ready. You will not enjoy the experience and are bound to be turned off if you do not get it honed.

This includes DOVO. You can get the razors honed from if you purchase them from Vintage blades or Classic shaving both send their razors to Lynn.

If not just send it to one of the honemeister (Lynn, Joe Chandler, Robert Williams) and they can get it shave ready for you

Another option would be for you to get a "pre owned" razor at a lower cost from a member here or over at straight razor place.

Assuming a new razor to be shave ready is a real crap shoot. Some are dreadful and some are pretty close and will shave reasonably. The problem is, as a new shaver you won't know and will be handicapped by a lack of that sharpness. I would plan on sending it out until you learn to hone yourself. Don't practice on a good razor, you'll ruin it.

Top Bottom