What's new

Worst scent in shaving soap?

I haven't found a scent that I really hated yet. Arko surely is a very cheap citrus scent found in household and industrial cleaners, but leaving it opened for a few days tones it down. I tried palm lathering Arko and smelled my hands afterwards. The scent coming from my skin was better than what you smell off the stick, sort of clean and soapy. The cheap lemon top notes disappeared within 10 minutes. If I add even lightly scented AS (as Speick Active for instance), the scent of the soap underneath is masked almost completely. After some 15-20 minutes all left is a faint clean smell. I'm Ok with that.
Tabac is different. The scent lasts longer and I could clearly smell it mixing with the AS after half an hour.

Arko. If I'm ever on skid row, I may rethink it, but as long as I can afford to buy better smelling soaps, I will...

One poster also mentioned Williams. For $.89 a puck it could be a LOT worse but I agree it smells like a citronella candle. I could probably melt it down and add something to make it smell better but that's too much work for an eighty nine cent soap

TABAC-----Now, am I correct that this is a shaving soap that is actually piggybacking as part of an even larger fragrance line? Are you kidding me?

It did lather real well, though, in the two times I managed to use it. I had to give it up because it was too hard shaving one-handed while I held a gun to my head.

Those are strong words, but I have to agree.

For all of you guys that are bothered by the scent of Tabac, have you tried to leave it open for a few days? I found that even keeping it closed and using it, the scent mellowed after about a week. I agree that when you first open a pack of Tabak, the scent is like a punch in the face. After several uses however, it settles down to a more agreeable one.

According to my wife, the worst shave soap scent is Haslinger Sage. She says it makes me smell like Thanksgiving dinner.

Cella when applying the lather for a second pass. It's not the worst smelling, and the resulting shave is not to be argued, but that second pass application seems a bit off, almost metallic. There's still the almond scent, but with an added metal "tone". Has anyone else noticed, or is this just another example of my messed up olfactory senses?
Remember, I also can't smell the "powdery scent" in Clubman aftershaves...

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Cella when applying the lather for a second pass. It's not the worst smelling, and the resulting shave is not to be argued, but that second pass application seems a bit off, almost metallic. There's still the almond scent, but with an added metal "tone". Has anyone else noticed, or is this just another example of my messed up olfactory senses?
Remember, I also can't smell the "powdery scent" in Clubman aftershaves...
That's because it is not "almond" scent, but a chemical called Benzaldehyde....fake almond scent. I also do not like any of these.

For me it's TOBS rose (although it's a great performer). But I love Tabac and Cella (I know a lot of people don't like their fragrances either).

For all of you guys that are bothered by the scent of Tabac, have you tried to leave it open for a few days? I found that even keeping it closed and using it, the scent mellowed after about a week. I agree that when you first open a pack of Tabak, the scent is like a punch in the face. After several uses however, it settles down to a more agreeable one.
I love being punched in the face by TABAC!

Beer Soap Brew Works scents "puzzle" me. Havana esp but they all have that dank Havana undertone/basenote with a top note added it seems. (Excellent performance by the way...slick/cushion dept)

Top Bottom