What's new

Songs sung with passion

Which do you nominate?

At the top of my list is Jolene sung by Vicci Martinez when on the TV show “The Voice.” I seldom if ever watch TV. I was in the other room and heard her begin singing it and thought I recognized it from long ago. So I walked in and watched her sing it. Holy Cow! That girl absolutely ROCKED the song - she sings it like it was MEANT to be sung. With fever pitch emotion. It can be found on ITunes under The Voice, Jolene.

So what is the song of yours most sung with passion?

My choice could vary day by day but Soundgarden's Fell On Black Days is in my rotation of best sung songs.

Chris Cornell for the 2nd time in this thread.

Just about anything from Nine Inch Nails. Especially songs from "Pretty Hate Machine".

Also Linkin Park.

Last edited:
I was going to vote for Ronnie James Dio, who voice output/body weight ratio probably exceeds most singers, but I'll have to with Alanis Morrissette in "You Oughta Know" (sorry for the ad at the beginning).

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to vote for Ronnie James Dio, who voice output/body weight ratio probably exceeds most singers, but I'll have to with Alanis Morrissette in "You Oughta Know"
Agreed on both counts.
Never cared much for Alanis, but a couple of her pieces were over the top fantastic. "You Oughta Know" had a solid driving tune behind it.
Dio? Unequalled for pure presence.

I listened to The Voice and thought it was ok, but nothing more. I think it's worth noting that "passion" doesn't necessarilly mean shouting or being really loud. "The Best of You" is a great song that really gets to the icky, fury-inspiring reality of losing a lover. But "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" or "Fields of Gold" by Eva cassidy is just as emotive, for different reasons. Siobha Gurtu also drives a spike into your heart, as well as many Indian classical singers, including Sheila Chandra. Michael Hedges can sound like 'everyman evoking'. The gamut is large. Take Bonnie Rait at her best. I think a lot of subtlety is being lost in modern music due to the idea that you can be Aretha if you belt something out at the top of your voice while waving your hand about. It takes a bit more than that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom