What's new

The 'Thomas Method' - genius or madness?

The 'Thomas Method' - genius or madness?

• Genius

• Madness

• I use the ouch method

Results are only viewable after voting.
Due to a visual defect (scarred retina), I always shave a cleanup spot by feel with a cartridge type, or I'll have only half-shaven stubble there. Since I'm going to have to use a TracII or Sensor there, I often do all second pass (neck) shaving with that second razor. Yesterday, I gave myself what I believe is my first SE shave in 54 years, with a Clog-Pruf. Excellent shave. I am right-handed, and my right cheek is still relatively well-shaven, some 20 hours later. The left cheek, not so good. Where I relied on the Sensor to finish up, the same as the left cheek.

A long time ago there was a frequent poster here who called himself Horatio Caine who advocated using a cartridge razor (in his case, I think Trac II or Atra) for the first pass, and then going to DE for a second pass and touch-ups.

At the time I was having trouble with DE and had switched back to cartridges. I decided to try his method and liked it a lot. It's similar, in that the idea is to use a more aggressive razor for the first pass and then a less aggressive one for subsequent passes.

As I continued to do at least one pass with a DE each and every day, I got more facile with the DE, which led to my eventually converted over to full DE shaving. HOWEVER, for a long while I used a Slim, and I always used it on a higher setting the the first pass and then dialed it down, which is effectively the same thing.

Holy Thread Resurrection ...

Been using the Thomas Method for the past couple of weeks.

Nice change of pace, the blades in each last 'longer' in that I'm using them less each day, great result without the hassle of using a SE against the grain.

YMMV of course!

I must say I'm already a bit embarrassed for having a couple too many razors and aftershaves, getting caught up in the B&B way so to speak, and am hoping to simplify things going forward. One razor per shave is all I can allow myself.

I am doing something similar, but with a cart.
A Gillette Guard cartridge for the first WTG pass, and a DE for the second XTG pass.
The Guard's design makes it very useful for a first pass.

Maybe I've mellowed a bit since this thread started, but the idea seems more sensible to me now. When I do get nicks, it's always on the 3rd, ATG pass. Switching to a milder razor could be sensible.
Having said that, I've recently bought a SE and had a few shaves, and had no nicks!

Can't help myself!

Last couple of weeks been using a MMOC and my Weber polished head with bulldog handle.

Great shave with the wonderful Thomas Method ...

Haven't tried it but I queses it works on the same principle as the 3 razor shave (which I am very anxious to try).

Sounds sensible. I often shave with more than one razor - something aggressive for the first WTG pass, then a milder one (or even two) for other passes. Alternatively, I might use an adjustable with different settings for different passes. It's all just variants of the same thing.

My 3 razor shave goes like this:

1st pass 2011 R41;

2nd pass Merkur 39C-Slanthammer

3rd pass 61 Fatboy on 9

Since using the Mongoose, I am only doing 2 passes; the third is unnecessary.

marty

makes sense to me...I don't own a SE, but I do 2 passes with a De followed by 1 pass with a cart, which seems analogous to what the OP describes.

Suum cuique, I suppose. To me, the pleasure of shaving is in the joy of proper technique and in the sensory pleasures arising from the smell of warm, aromatic lather and the sound and feel of a sharp razor mounted in a well-balanced metal axe singing as it mows through well-lubricated whiskers. Changing razors mid-shave distracts from these pleasures, focusing on the tool rather than the act. Would Yoda change light-sabers mid-duel or Kyuzo swap swords mid-battle?
perhaps not, but a sculptor would use progressively finer tools ie hammers, chisels etc as they get nearer to finishing their project.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Incidentally, I've been a proponent of the multiple razor technique for years. When time is not an issue, my preferred method is a first pass with an injector, a second pass with a DE, then a third pass with a straight.

If you think that this is an inspired, insightful, groundbreaking technique, you may refer to it as The Ouch Method.

If you think that this procedure is the product of a deranged mind and worthy of opprobrium, feel free to call it The Thomas Method.

Top Bottom