What's new

The 'Thomas Method' - genius or madness?

The 'Thomas Method' - genius or madness?

• Genius

• Madness

• I use the ouch method

Results are only viewable after voting.
I posted in my thread here comparing DE and SE about the (in)famous 'Thomas Method' so dubbed by me after its most vocal proponent in one of the Aussie shaving forums.

In the controversial Thomas Method you do the first pass with a SE then the second pass and touch ups with a DE. Claimed by supporters to be the best of both worlds and derided by critics as being such sitting on the fence that you get splinters you know where! I choose it because I know that it was a controversial way to finish that challenge.

But what do people think? Is it genius or madness? Have you say and comment on your experiences with the Thomas Method.

Last edited:
Sounds sensible. I often shave with more than one razor - something aggressive for the first WTG pass, then a milder one (or even two) for other passes. Alternatively, I might use an adjustable with different settings for different passes. It's all just variants of the same thing.

Having started using the Gems a lot in the past two months after almost two years of DE shaving, I would reverse the Thomas method. The SE seems milder to me so I would use a Fatboy, Old Type or my EJ89 for the first pass and then go with the SE for the last two passes. Until I tried a GEM with Treet blades, I had no idea what I was missing. It seems that the majority of this forum favors DE razor, and I truly enjoy them ( don't even know how many I have as my collection has grown). If you have never tried a SE, you owe it to yourself to give one a try, and maybe even test out the Thomas method as I plan to do. I have two Gem feather weights that I will PIF to the first two PMs from anyone in the CONUS that has never tried a SE. The only thing that I ask is that if you do not like them, that you will pass them on to someone else to try until they find a home where they are appreciated.

Last edited:
sounds like it could work, 200% more complicated than a single razor shave, but i think at least you need to do some group trials of DE first than SE to determine variance among population! what about applying an electric current to the SE, no moving parts like the stahly, just current, to see if it helps. it's maddening genius!

I can see how it would work if you consider your SE more aggressive than your DE.
Use the SE to get a good close shave, then instead of risking irritation on a second pass, you go with a less aggressive razor to touch up spots or just smooth out the shave.

I'm not sure it would work for me though. I get the smoothest shaves with 1 pass on my SE (GEM Damaskeen) of any of my DE or SE razors.
Touching up or more passes are rare with an SE shave for me.

I always start and finish with the same razor ... unless I run into a dull blade and then to save time I grab another razor - but changing blades consistently has avoided this situation mostly.

Try a 191X or 192X SE razor and tell me that it is milder than most DEs ... I think not.

This method probably is very good for some folks and a waste of time for others ... depends on their skin/technique/etc...

Personally, if I want 2 different degrees of aggressiveness - I'll use my NEILLITE with its 2 different combs on one razor!

Went to the bathroom this morning thinking that I would try the Thomas method. Lathered up with my Palmolive shave stick using distilled water ( it really does make better lather), put a much used blade in my fat handle GEM Junior. After two passes, uh oh, there is nothing left, so no need for a DE third pass.

I can't vote because I don't think either answer is appropriate. I shave with both DE and SE razors and alternate them on days, not during the same shave. But if it works for you, go for it.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Never thought about shaving this way. Probably never will. A bit too much for me. I like keeping it simple.
SmokeyD:
+ 1 and I couldn't agree with you more...less is best. :lol1:

:straight: "Don't worry aboutthe [cuts, weepers and] nicks and pick up your life...forget all the badthings, the pain and the strife". Author Unknown

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I don't think we're far off the mark. If I want to get a good shave in a hurry, I do a WTG pass with an injector (it's a SE, after all) followed by an ATG pass with a DE. I can get 95% there in a flash.

Of course, this site is about the last 5%.

I don't get it. Why would a SE be better for the first pass, but not for the second? Likewise, why would both sides of a DE be better for second passes, but not firsts? Why not just pick one razor, and wield it properly. Its like using Proraso on your chin, Mitchell's Wool Fat on your cheeks, and Barbasol on your sideburns!

Suum cuique, I suppose. To me, the pleasure of shaving is in the joy of proper technique and in the sensory pleasures arising from the smell of warm, aromatic lather and the sound and feel of a sharp razor mounted in a well-balanced metal axe singing as it mows through well-lubricated whiskers. Changing razors mid-shave distracts from these pleasures, focusing on the tool rather than the act. Would Yoda change light-sabers mid-duel or Kyuzo swap swords mid-battle?

Top Bottom