What's new

Let's Talk RUM! ARGHHHH!

So I wanted to try rums. I'm not sure where to start or if I even should. Basically what I'm looking for is a sweeter, but richer drink. I've had the ole Captain Morgan's Spiced. Will not do a flavored rum because I'm not a teenage/twenty-something yr old girl, nor do I live near the beach. I tried Kraken but it was too rich.

I'm usually a bourbon and water drinker. Was trying to expand a bit.

Anyone have any recommendations on rums that could be drunk straight? Also, is it improper to add water to rum like you would with a bourbon/water? Is soda more appropriate?

Zaya Gran Reserva

/thread

I drank Ron Zacapa 23yr Centenario before and once I got Zaya I never looked back. It's got a nicer vanilla note to it and it's cheaper. I just float a cube or two of ice in there to chill it.. I don't like my RUM at room temp.

The only two rums I've had that I enjoyed straight or on the rocks were Pyrat and Captain Morgan Private Reserve. The Pyrat was definitely the superior of the two but the Morgan was pretty good. An entirely different beast than the regular spiced stuff. Sooner or later I'll hit the liquor store and pick up a couple of of bottles that are mentioned here frequently (and the two mentioned by Mindflux are probably the ones I've seen mentioned most).

Mount Gaye's rum is good. Basically anything honey-coloured and from The Caribbean is what you're looking for. I've only tried a couple of real rums, but they were nothing like the white or black type you usually see in supermarkets and the like. I was very happy to find how nice even moderately-priced rum from a respected maker tastes.

Legion

Staff member
Ask anybody who's ever worked in an Aussie bar what their opinion of rum is. Bunderburg specifically.

That stuff is the Jecklle and Hyde fluid.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
slooby_doo:
Check out this Thread, your Favorite Rum. :yesnod:

proxy.php
"[Having a drink]… is a [great], way ofending the day". Ernest Hemingway

Ask anybody who's ever worked in an Aussie bar what their opinion of rum is. Bunderburg specifically.

That stuff is the Jecklle and Hyde fluid.

My next door neighbour's girlfriend is from Australia and I have tried Bunderburg, powerful juju that.

I say try El Dorado, I have had the 12 and the 15. The 15 is great with an ice cube, the 12 is not quite as smooth.

slooby_doo:
Check out this Thread, your Favorite Rum. :yesnod:

proxy.php

+1. In that thread Christopher mentioned Ron del Barrilito three star rum. They also make a two star rum - but the three star is great. A number of years ago while in Puerto Rico I visited Ron del Barrilito. Great place. They still do everything by hand. It may be hard to find - but if you can find it, buy it.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
+1. In that thread Christopher mentioned Ron del Barrilito three star rum. They also make a two star rum - but the three star is great. A number of years ago while in Puerto Rico I visited Ron del Barrilito. Great place. They still do everything by hand. It may be hard to find - but if you can find it, buy it.
Jim:
Thanx for your reply, support and for sharing!!! :thumbsup:

proxy.php

Outstanding rum...quite possibly the best I have had. Well worth the effort to find.

Sailor Jerrys may be a more affordable and findable option for you. I'm no huge fan of rum, but I keep a bottle of it around. It's better than Captain Morgan and far stronger. I wouldn't say quite as heavy as Kraken.

Mount Gaye's rum is good. Basically anything honey-coloured and from The Caribbean is what you're looking for.
Agreed on the Mount Gay. In Barbados, they sell the stuff in glass soda bottles at all the little stores so you can drink it right from the bottle =)

But their top-shelf stuff like the 1703 is amazing. If you mix it with anything, you're ruining it, IMHO. (Review here: http://goo.gl/II4DS)

Zaya Gran Reserva

/thread

I drank Ron Zacapa 23yr Centenario before and once I got Zaya I never looked back. It's got a nicer vanilla note to it and it's cheaper. I just float a cube or two of ice in there to chill it.. I don't like my RUM at room temp.

+1

Zaya blew my mind.

Vanilla, caramel, oak...simple, yet complex. Very smooth.

The El Dorado Demerara rums are excellent sipping rums, lot a of complex flavors. The 15 is a bit better than the 12. They make 21yo and 25yo versions as well; never tried them though.

Edit: second the "oh God please no" on the Kraken. Save that for the college students.

Wow - tough audience. Guess I am young at heart at 51 years old.

The El Dorado Demerara rums are excellent sipping rums, lot a of complex flavors. The 15 is a bit better than the 12. They make 21yo and 25yo versions as well; never tried them though.

Edit: second the "oh God please no" on the Kraken. Save that for the college students.

Sailor Jerrys may be a more affordable and findable option for you. I'm no huge fan of rum, but I keep a bottle of it around. It's better than Captain Morgan and far stronger. I wouldn't say quite as heavy as Kraken.

+1...when I go rum the Sailor does it for me.

Top Bottom