What's new

Did not dig the Buffalo Trace!

Tried a bottle of Buffalo Trace recently based on reviews and awards. I have to say, it's just not for me. I've tried that one, the Woodford reserve, several of the Beam family. I keep going back to Elijah Craig 12 yr. And that's all there is to it!:sneaky2:

Sorry to hear that. I'm a big fan of Buffalo Trace, but I guess not everyone is. Have you tried the Elijah Craig 18 y/o? It varies a fair bit from bottle to bottle but can be incredible stuff.

I enjoy the Buffalo Trace. I just enjoyed some of the Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve this evening. As with anything, if everyone liked the same bourbon, there would only be one of them.

Can you describe the difference between the Woodford and the Elijah Craig 12? Woodford is a mainstay in my cabinet, but I've been wanting to try the EC.

I actually hold the same opinion of Buffalo Trace as the OP does. Just doesn't float my boat, I'm afraid. +1 on the EC18 recommendation, though that one's certainly at a different price point.

It's been too long since I've poured EC12, but I do recall preferring Woodford to the 12yo Elijah Craig offering. I've served the EC12 in Julips before -- that worked well, and is a preparation where I think Woodford would be overkill.

I'm a fan of the BT, I like that big oak finish it gives. my fav bourbon though is Blanton's, also a fan of Angel's Envy and Elmer T Lee

I notice that "oak finish" in the BT as well. I do like it though. I have never tried the Elijah Craig 12yo before, can someone describe it to me? I saw it at the store and went for the BT instead. Thanks.

I like the Trace. I find it has a unique sweetness to it. Don't know if anyone else feels the same about that. Sometimes, however, it's obnoxious and almost cloying, especially after few.

Blanton's is made by the Buffalo Trace folks, no?
Both Knob Creek and, to a lesser extent, Elijah Craig 12, have a slight harshness at the finish that Buffalo Trace doesn't. Woodford Reserve is the smoothest of my bottles, start to finish.

Woodford is good as is the EC 12 or 18. The Blanton is very good. I've always thought that the BT or Ancient Age was toward the bottom of what I look for in a bourbon. You want good, you should go for the gusto and pick up a bottle of the Pappy Van Winkle. The distillery also does some small batch "experiment" whiskeys that are a little different. They have one with rice and one with oatmeal as a major ingredient.

Not much love here for the Buffalo Trace either. Truth be told, good 'ol Wild Turkey 101 and Old Foresters serve as the basic "House" Bourbons here and they do an exceptional job. For those high end occasions.....Booker's. There is NO substitute

no idea, I'm sure a quick google search would reveal it though. for what its worth, my friends refer to Blanton's as the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch (I happen to live in a town called Antioch). This first time one of them said it I lol'd for an hour

eta - here's a pic of the blanton's bottle for those that don't know and you'll get the reference about the grenade :001_tt2:

proxy.php

Both Knob Creek and, to a lesser extent, Elijah Craig 12, have a slight harshness at the finish that Buffalo Trace doesn't. Woodford Reserve is the smoothest of my bottles, start to finish.

Correct, however it is a different recipe. Buffalo Trace has two recipes for rye bourbons. Buffalo Trace is one along with Old Charter, Benchmark, Eagle Rare, and GT Stagg. The other recipe is used for Blantons along with Elmer T Lee, Hancock, Ancient Age, and Rock Hill Farms.

Top Bottom