What's new

Leather experts: How do you relax a bend out of a thick piece of Latigo?

So I have a bunch of Latigo that I got from the scrap bin, and most of it's good, but it's been thrown in a bin, so it has a few bends in it in places. I cut a very long 2 1/2" strop piece from it, and it doesn't want to lay flat. There are no creases in the leather, just a bend. Right now it's been sitting overnight clamped flat to my bench with another piece of wood over it and three clamps to hold it dead flat. Will this work? Do I have to treat the leather with something to get it to relax? I really don't want to because the draw is just right at the moment. I checked on it this morning, and it still doesn't want to lay flat, so I just reclamped it and left it for the day.

What's the best way to relax latigo?

Jeff

Legion

Staff member
I'd try just pressing it first, then hang it with a weight for a while, maybe in the bathroom with steam. If it is just a bend that should sort it out.

i straightened a cupping strop by wetting and placing it on a flat surface with a board on top with heavy weights on top. it worked perfectly when allowed to dry without disturbing the thing. it took mine a couple of days to dry, if i recall. best of luck.

Thanks you guys. The leather in question is now a strop that is owned buy Paco664. Hopefully he'll get the last of the bend out of it.

i was thinking about since its hanging i would tie a 20oz soda bottle full of water to it to provide the weight......

Top Bottom