What's new

A Call for data on the Weck Sextoblade for the Wiki

Hey guys,

I'm trying to do some research on the Weck family of shavette style razors. This includes the Sextoblade, Bantam, hair shaper and corn razors. The end goal of my data collection is to make an entry for these great razors in the ShaveWiki.

I am looking for your help. Good data on these razors seems to be very scarce. I've searched quite a bit and found very little. I'm hoping some of you might have links to some pages that I have not found yet that might be useful in my quest.

I'm also looking for pictures, especially pictures of complete sets in their original cases. Many sets were given a letter name. Styles AA, A, B, C, D, E, F, H (I believe G was skipped). I am specifically looking for information that might distinguish one Style from another. I'm thinking that the different styles might just relate to the case and set that it came with, but I'm hoping there is more to it than that.

Also any information you have on Edward Weck or the company would be great.

If you have any information that might be helpful, please post it. Even if It takes me a while to get the Wiki going, at least this thread can be used as a reference.

I don't have any of the Safety Razor Compendium type books, can someone tell me if there is an entry in any of those for the Weck razors?

Good luck. There isn't much info around here that I have seen. Not sure if Paul (plpenn) saw this- he ran the sextoblade pass around and maybe he did some research. You may want to PM him.

Hey KJ here are some pictures for

Sextoblade Style B

$shave 077.jpg$shave 079.jpg$shave 080.jpg$shave 084.jpg$shave 082.jpg

I had a little something around her I will see what I can find. If nothing else I have a few pictures of a hair shaper here in my file somewhere and I can post some more.

Sextoblade Style A
proxy.php

This Style A Sextoblade came with a double coffin. Room enough for two Sextoblades, or one Sextoblade and lots of extra blades.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Note the shape of the tail. It is two-piece, where the same steel that makes the blade holder is carried all the way to the tail. The spine is smooth all the way down. Note the closely spaced, closed-bar guard.
Another Sextoblade
proxy.php

proxy.php

Note the rounded, one-piece tail (it's solid steel). Note the wider spaced, closed bar guard.
proxy.php

Note the notch on the spine.
proxy.php

It acts as a guard stop.
Medical Sextoblade
proxy.php

proxy.php

The blade holder on this razor is just like the one above. Notch on the back, plus rounded, one-piece tail. This razor did not come with a guard when I got it, but odds are it would have seeing as how it has a notched spine. These razors are 100% stainless (to the best of my knowledge). Also, to the best of my knowledge, these are WWII vintage.
proxy.php

The scales are stamped "MADE IN U.S.A." on one side and "WECK U *medical insignia* S" on the other.
Weck Blades
proxy.php

Front Side
proxy.php

Back Side
Full size pictures can be had in my Straight Razor Album, if you want them.

I don't know about that... :) I notice that the major difference between my Style A and Castel133's Style B is that the Style A has a smooth spine and the Style B has a notch for stopping the guard. A very fine detail that would be easy to miss...

Very true Wyatt. I think that might have to do with the fact that the original paten for the sextoblade in 1907 did not have a gaurd. The gaurd for the sextoblade was not paten till 1911 so I am thinking your style a may be from the time period between 1907 and 1911 before weck saw the need for the gaurd.

I just learned something new! Nice to know the little tidbit about the guard, but I don't think it definitively places my razor before 1911 for two reasons (though it likely makes it a very early razor). First, the guard stop probably wasn't thought of until after the guard came about (just a guess). Second, the metal of my blade holder and the guard match perfectly. I can't swap the guard to either of my other Sextoblades and have the luster match. This could be an artifact of how they have been treated (maybe they all started out looking the same), it could also be an indication they were made at the same time. This thread has a cool add about the Weck Bantam Razor. It states "Nickle silver handle resists rust." http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/187385-Weck-Sextoblade

Im afraid what I have doesnt have much info to help
$sexto.jpg
I cant find any style or model on it.
The razor had "Pat'D JUL 27/'09"
The blades which I think are orginal to the set say "SEXTOBLADE 4+9" on them

Last edited:
Does anybody know anything about Weck's safety razors? I have a beautiful open-comb Weck in near-new condition. Handle is 2-7/8" long and it weighs 50 grams. A nice chunky little razor.

Attachments

• $Weck 1.jpg
    $Weck 1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 310
  • $weck 2.jpg
    $weck 2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 310
OK, bringing this thread back to life, hopefully.

Here is my family of Weck razors:

Top Row:
Black Sextoblade "Trade Sample"
Black Sextoblade
Yellow Sextoblade
Green Ice Bantam
Clear Orange Hair Shaper

Bottom Row (The Stainless family):
Medical Sextoblade
Bantam
Hair Shaper
Corn Razor (I think)
Brooch/Pin
Medical SE Razor

proxy.php

The only thing that slightly perplexes me is my Green Ice scaled Bantam. We've all seen the ad (below) that indicates that the Bantam ismeant for shaving. However that Bantam came with a guard like the hair shapers, which cannot be used for shaving. Could the wrong guard have been put on that razor at some point? Absolutely, that my guess. Otherwise I have no idea why i would have that guard on it. Unless later on, in the life of the Bantam, its purpose changed, and it was marketed as a hair shaper. Maybe that's why the hair shapers now are th same size as the Bantam. Any other guesses?
proxy.php

Well, KJ, you reminded me that I never took the time to post my pictures of my (well, formerly my) hair shaper. It is made by Weck, but does not have the same design as the Sextoblades. The metal is thinner, and more rounded at the top. This one also has an "eject" button that was very nice for removal of blades.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom