What's new

Need some advice storing Cohiba Robustos in hot, humid Malaysia

Hello cigar aficionados. Some of you may know that I left freezing cold Canada to start a new life in hot, humid Malaysia. A day before leaving for Malaysia I came across the opportunity to acquire a box of Cohiba Robutos at a really good price. I've always been curious about quality cigars and so I took the plunge. I knew I was going to need a humidor and after some research I realized that not only is humidity important but also the temperature and amount of humidity.

My issues would be both temperature and humidity. The daily temperates here can range from 30-40 degrees celsius outside. Inside the temperatures in my home would be about 25-30 without air conditioning or fans turned on. It is quite humid here and so I'm worried that if I don't protect them soon I'll be looking at moldy cigars. I bought a sealable plastic tupperware type container and have spent the day trying to find a hydrometer. I have had no luck. Can anyone suggest where I can find a hydrometer? I intend on buying a humidor but the prices here in Malaysia are outrageous for both cigars and humidors. I'm thinking of buying online and getting one that holds 40-50 cigars. Would anyone know if I'm going about this right? Any ideas how to keep things cool? I know I am not supposed to put them in the fridge. However if the container is sealed and I place the wooden box inside would I be okay to chill them? Thank you for any advice you can provide.

Attachments

• $389436_10150469035000829_636100828_9203257_453397453_n.jpg
    $389436_10150469035000829_636100828_9203257_453397453_n.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 87
Also could I alleviate the temperature issue by using an electric wine cooler with the temperature set to 15-20 degrees perhaps?

Excess humidity is actually a nice problem to have. I was in a similar situation when I lived in Manzanillo, Mexico, where the summers were in the same temperature range and humidity was crazy. I kept my cigars in a humidor without cooling them, just making sure they were out of any direct sunlight. They seemed to survive and I still have a few cigars from that era or my life (so they are either ruined or well-aged!). Good luck with finding a humidor. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable and experienced than I can give you a better answer, but that has been my experience.

I've never had to deal with that issue. The main problem with the cigars being stored too warm is the potential for the tobacco beetle larva to hatch and destroy your smokes. The wine cooler idea is probably the route I would go to keep them cool. In your situation, tupperware may be a better alternative to a humidor, especially if storing in a refrigerated unit. You can find hygrometers here, http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=itemlist/catid=11/start=49 along with everything else you'd need.

I've never had to deal with that issue. The main problem with the cigars being stored too warm is the potential for the tobacco beetle larva to hatch and destroy your smokes. The wine cooler idea is probably the route I would go to keep them cool. In your situation, tupperware may be a better alternative to a humidor, especially if storing in a refrigerated unit. You can find hygrometers here, http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=itemlist/catid=11/start=49 along with everything else you'd need.

+1

Wineadors work very well for many people. You're probably goign to have a lot of room in one with just one box in there, but thats okay! Gives you enough space for more! :)

Make sure you get a digital hygrometer and salt test it. I woudl also suggest keeping your winedor in a cooler area, out of the way from sunlight, windows, etc.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
If you get a wine cooler, just make sure it is a thermoelectric cooler, and you can just use the whole unit as a humidor.

How long do you plan to store them?
[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]I got 24 left and don't smoke much so maybe two years or more. I might smoke one every two or three months.

Just out of curiosity are Cuban cigars really worth this much? These sell for about $30-35 each in Canada. I have seen some nice cigars can be purchased for under $10. Fortunately I got this box for under $300 cdn.[/FONT]

Commander Quan

In Canada that's a pretty good price, pretty normal if you could source them elsewhere. The taxes on cigars in Canada pretty high.

When you get a chance, could you post a clear picture of the band and the cap on of of the cigars.

Last edited:
In Canada that's a pretty good price, pretty normal if you could source them elsewhere. The taxes on cigars in Canada pretty high.

When you get a chance, could you post a clear picture of the band and the cap on of of the cigars.

Sure I'll see if I can get a pic up for you later today.

Sure I'll see if I can get a pic up for you later today.

Here you go. I'm a bit worried about the black spot on the cap. Is that mold? I've only been here for two days so far. Could mold form that quickly?

Attachments

• $IMG_3224.jpg
    $IMG_3224.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 69
  • $IMG_3225.jpg
    $IMG_3225.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 70

Commander Quan

Did these come with the Cuban Warranty Seal? It should have been over the edge of the box where the lid slides off, and folded over the edge so that most of it is on the side where it says 25 robustos. I lightened your photo and I didn't see one. If there wasn't one there it's a big red flag.

proxy.php

It wouldn't be mold, mold is green/white and fuzzy

Did these come with the Cuban Warranty Seal? It should have been over the edge of the box where the lid slides off, and folded over the edge so that most of it is on the side where it says 25 robustos. I lightened your photo and I didn't see one. If there wasn't one there it's a big red flag.

proxy.php

It wouldn't be mold, mold is green/white and fuzzy

Oh yes I got one of those seals. Thanks for the heads up.

Just picked up a digital hygrometer and thermometer combo. I paid the equivalent of $70 USD for it. It even has an external sensor so I hope it's a good one.

Dear fellas. I've managed to buy an airtight Tupperware style container with a lockable lid and a digital hygrometer. I have been able to maintain a 70% humidity level but my temperature is 85 degrees now. I know I need I be around 70 degrees but I can't achieve that currently. I am considering placing the sealed plastic container along with cigars and hydrometer into the fridge. However the temperature of the fridge is about 13 degrees Celsius. Is it unadvisable to place the tupperdor into the fridge.

Fridge temps are going to keep your cigars colder than you want, plus it is going to make it harder to maintain proper humidity levels. They may also pick up an "off" taste from food in the fridge. If it is absolutely impossible for you to store them at around 70-75 degrees, you should at least freeze them to reduce the chances of a beetle problem. I think the general rule of thumb is to freeze them for 48 hours then move them to the fridge for 24 hours so they will gradually thaw out, & then bring them back up to room temperature. Whatever you do, never try to light up a cigar straight from the fridge; the rapid temperature change may cause it to crack.

Edit: Ok, based on the link that Derrick posted below, put them in the fridge for 24 hours both before and after the freezer. That makes sense; bring them down to temps gradually before freezing as an added safety measure against possible damage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom