What's new

Need some advice storing Cohiba Robustos in hot, humid Malaysia

Did these come with the Cuban Warranty Seal? It should have been over the edge of the box where the lid slides off, and folded over the edge so that most of it is on the side where it says 25 robustos. I lightened your photo and I didn't see one. If there wasn't one there it's a big red flag.

proxy.php

It wouldn't be mold, mold is green/white and fuzzy

I have seen fakes with it as well but if they do not it is most likely fake.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I agree Don. Whenever you get Cuban cigars for way below market, you certainly should look them over with a critical eye. I wanted to see a picture of the bands and the cap, and they both look good. The presentation is right, except for the missing warranty seal, but if Terry says it was on there then other than checking the factory code I'd believe these are the real deal.

After a bit more research I have decided to invest in a wine chiller. The average temperature in Malaysia is too high and we can't keep out air conditioning on all day long. I've built a tupperdor and am going to freeze the cigars for 24 hours just to make sure there isn't any risk of beetles. Thanks for all the help fellas!

Another option is to keep putting blue ice packs on top of your tupperdor. But, if you're going to get into the hobby to any degree, a wine cooler is the way to go with your problem.

As mentioned before, but it bears repeating, make sure the wine cooler you buy is thermoelectric, I have an edgestar 28 bottle that works great in hot humid south florida

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Tupperware is great for storing cigars in their boxes. You want the humidity in the normal range but even more importantly you don't want the humidity to increase or decrease rapidly. Sudden increase in moisture can cause the cigar to swell faster than the binder and wrapper can stretch, causing a split and ruining the cigar. The tupperware seals nicely, and that slows down any changes in moisture content.

Try getting another fridge, like maybe one of those little office cube fridges, just for your cigars. Turn the thermostat up to minimum cooling and you should be okay. Just remember, too cold and your cigars will not benefit as much from aging. After two years, your cigars could improve noticeably if kept at a reasonable temperature. Oh, well maybe not cohibas so much. The tobacco goes through a different curing process and are said to not benefit much from aging.

I thought I would update you all on my progress. After spending a couple of hours in a cigar shop with a very helpful salesman I was able to gain some insight on the best way to store cigars here in Malaysia. If I freeze the cigars for 24-48 hours and thaw out over a 24 hour period in the fridge, then I'll be able to place them in the humidor. So I've done that and it seems to be working out so far. As far as I understand if I freeze them then the beetle issue becomes irrelevant and I can store them in the humidor regardless of how hot it becomes. Fortunately humidity is not a big issue here. Anyhow if anyone wants to see my humidor and cigar collection I'll be happy to post a pic.

Lol ok guys. Here are a couple of photos I just took.

There are about 22 Cohiba Robustos
one Portages (didn't get a chance to smoke it after dinner so I'll do it tomorrow)
two Don Diego
One Punch petit corona
three Davidoff Maduro

Attachments

• $IMG_3276.jpg
    $IMG_3276.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 20
  • $IMG_3277.jpg
    $IMG_3277.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom