What's new

Shirt tails - tucked or untucked?

It seems to me I've seen a thread like this here in the past, but for the life of me I can't find it when searching the hisitory. Please indulge me if this question is redundant.

I have 2 long sleeve, 100% silk, Tommy Bahama shirts. One is identical to the picture below, and one is white with pastel candy stripes. They do not have the square "camp style" cut at the hem, nor do they have a full shirt tail like a common cotton dress shirt. They have sort of a "half-tail," if you get my meaning; a tail in-between the camp hem and a traditional shirt tail. The picture below is the style to which I am referring. If I were to wear a shirt in this style with chinos or Dockers, would I want to tuck it in, or leave the tails out?

Attachments

• $T33227-646-general.jpg
    $T33227-646-general.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 276
a rule of thumb i know is that if it goes more than 2/3'rds the way down your fly, its too long and it needs to be tucked.

If it goes too far down, you should tuck. However, silk is a fabric that is about movement, casualness and comfort. Assuming that it does not hit too far below the belt, it looks better untucked.

In my mind, Tommy Bahama shirts are about comfort and dressed-up casual. That means not tucked in.

Hawaiian shirts and things of that ilk, such as linen shirts, do not belonged tucked in.

In my mind, Tommy Bahama shirts are about comfort and dressed-up casual. That means not tucked in.

Hawaiian shirts and things of that ilk, such as linen shirts, do not belonged tucked in.
Agreed.
With a non-knit shirt, it depends on the cut. Square cut, not tucked.

Knit shirts, depends on my pants. If I'm wearing jeans, I will generally not tuck a polo/golf shirt. Dockers, it'll generally be tucked.

General rule of thumb;
long-sleeved, tucked.
short-sleeved, untucked is an option but not necessarily a requirement.
Any kind of cloth can be used to make either type of shirt, although Hawaiin prints for example, are inherently casual.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Normally tucked. I would walk around with an untucked shirt on casual Friday or at home.

You would look more polished tucked, but if you are not is a situation that requires it I would go untucked chest hair out and gold chains.

I like to tuck in my shirts generally speaking, but I base it off of whether the shirt is meant to be tucked in or not. That shirt looks like its meant to be untucked because its a little too short to keep tucked in.

You could go either way in that shirt, look into a full length mirror and see how it works with the pants/footwear you intend to wear.

I have always been an "untucked at any opportunity" kind of guy. But then I also wear loafers or boat shoes without socks when I am allowed. But then I live in So. Calif.

I would wear a shirt such as the one shown untucked. Rolled up sleeves would be optional.

Tucked. Always tucked.

But then that's the opinion of an old geezer who never wears jeans and doesn't understand the oxymoron "Smart casual".

I don't wear any sort of shirt that's not made to be worn with a tie.

Smart for me is shirt, tie and jacket. Casual is shirt and tie with no jacket.

Shirt with no tie is how I dress in the house, but I usually put on a tie before I go out.

All the best,

Malcolm Webb
Lincoln UK

It depends on the situation, in my opinion.
But I probably wouldn't wear it in any situations where I'd need to tuck it in.
To emphasize the casualness I'd roll the sleeves up, especially if untucked, and if tucked in, at least flip the cuff once.

Top Bottom