What's new

Help! 1st attempt.

Quite some time ago, I bought this razor off the Bay. Looked like the blade was in good shape, and though the scales (wood) were in rough shape, they would be easy enough to fix (thought I).

Was going through my stuff today, ran across it and thought, now or never. Took out the pins and made a weird discovery. I think the scales are compressed paper! The blade was a bit pitted and close to the edge (arg), so I took about an hour and sanded it down, honed it then dulled it, then honed again etc. till I was past the pits and chips.

My intention was always to restore it with its original scales. I figured that a strip of brass or copper on the inside and some treatment would suffice.

Here are the questions I need help with:

Do you think the blade is worth restoring? It seemingly takes an edge, but with the only the one marking, I wonder if it’s worth it.

Has anyone ever heard of paper scales? How would you restore those?

I wonder if this wasn’t someone who placed a couple of “sub-par” materials together and hoped to make some money off of it.

Thanks gents!

Attachments

• $P1010509.jpg
    $P1010509.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 117
  • $P1010514.jpg
    $P1010514.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 117
  • $P1010512.jpg
    $P1010512.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 118
There is a type of micarta which uses paper as the base, rather than linen or canvas. You probably won't be able to do much with those scales, they look pretty used up. The blade has potential, I'd say go for it. A solingen blade will be a great shaver, unless the temper is screwed.

I dont think thats paper/never heard of that/ looks like pressed horn. Horn can get all flaky like grandmas pie crust.

That's a very nice blade and a shame about the scales those are very nice too minus all the worm holes. Good luck. What are you going to use for new scales? Wood? G10? I love G10.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Horn will burn too...does it not smell like burning hair? Although I guess you would obviously notice that LOL...let us know.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
BTW ANY blade is worth restoring if you are going to shine it up and place it in your collection. You could also sell it as a newbie starter blade, or give it away in a PIF. Unless its an icepick, restoring it and keeping it out of the landfill is a noble undertaking :)

You could try saturating with CA?

Well I just took some time to work it over.

Scales: I referenced my Standard Guide to Razors 3rd Edition and performed the hot needle test it recommended; it's paper. When I tried to clean them up a bit, sadly they began to fall apart. I'll need to re-scale this thing. I have never made scales before and would rather buy, but I am willing to go either route - recommendations?

hig789 - what is G10?

Blade: So there's a bit of pitting on this blade. It's the reason that I have left in in my drawer for so long. After sanding it to "user grade," the argues task of setting the bevel, and then honing began. I left the mild smile it's got - not sure why.

Like I said, there is only the one marking on it "SOLINGEN," so I didn't think much of it but it shined up nicely. What a mistake it was to write this thing off so quickly though. By the time I got this thing onto my Coti, it was showing some serious signs of being able to take an edge. I didn't finish it, feeling that I might as well do so once its got scales on, but even without the finishing hone this thing cuts arm hair like nothing I have ever owned. I am very excited!

Thanks for all the help so far - this is turning out to be a great surprise so far. Too bad about the scales but hey ...

BTW Kent - if this thing turns out to shave as i think it might, maybe I'll PIF my Dovo instead lol! I know this is going to sound odd, but I bought it off a seller located in Estonia. I love that country - somehow knowing it came from there makes it a little more special.

BTW ANY blade is worth restoring if you are going to shine it up and place it in your collection. You could also sell it as a newbie starter blade, or give it away in a PIF. Unless its an icepick, restoring it and keeping it out of the landfill is a noble undertaking :)

You could try saturating with CA?

Thanks Kent - it's kind of fun too!

Why not try making a set of scales yourself, it is very rewarding. If that is too much frustration, then send it off for a rescale.
G10 is a fiberglass composite, layers of fiberglass bonded together with resin. I wouldn't suggest trying G10 on your first rescale, stick to wood, acrylic, horn as these are easier to cut/shape.

Good luck!
Mike

paper sounds very odd.......I've seen that same pattern (in pics) many times.....maybe someone made a mold of the pattern and tried remaking a new set themselves? Would love to see them in person to appease the curiosity

Why not try making a set of scales yourself, it is very rewarding. If that is too much frustration, then send it off for a rescale.
G10 is a fiberglass composite, layers of fiberglass bonded together with resin. I wouldn't suggest trying G10 on your first rescale, stick to wood, acrylic, horn as these are easier to cut/shape.

Good luck!
Mike
Thanks Mike - maybe i'll give it a go! :001_smile I haven't seen many scale vendors so I might have to :001_tt2:.

paper sounds very odd.......I've seen that same pattern (in pics) many times.....maybe someone made a mold of the pattern and tried remaking a new set themselves? Would love to see them in person to appease the curiosity
Where do you live? I am willing to mail them to you if you are serious about it.

Where do you live? I am willing to mail them to you if you are serious about it.
I'm in NY (guess I should update my profile info? lol)
If you were nearby I'd take a look just to see, but it's probably not worth the postage. Anyway, I'm no expert to give a final say on it, just nosy by nature :blush:

Bought scales from TSS. Knowing Jerrod, I should have em here tomorrow lol. Can't wait to have a shave with this thing.

They are Yellow lol :ohmy:

Top Bottom