What's new

Simpsons CH1 vs Rooney Stubby 1 vs Rooney Heritage Stubby 1XL

I really like my CH1 Best, except that the tips are a little too scratchy for my liking, especially on the neck area. What about the CH1 Super 3-band or CH1 Super 2-band? I am looking for something with softer tips (super or silver tip) that has some scrub, but no scratch. I don't want a brush with tips so soft that I can't feel anything on my face while face lathering. Make sense? I also want something with similar specs as my CH1 Best (handle size/grip-feels great in the hand, nice backbone, knot size, loft, density etc.) That leads me to the Rooney Heritage line. The Stubby 1 has similar specs as the CH1. Or maybe something a little different like the Stubby 1XL. Slightly bigger fan shaped knot and slightly shorter loft and similar handle. From my limited research, it is a dense brush but not a lather hog like the CH1. I wouldn't mind a brush that is not a lather hog and releases lather with ease. I know there are tons of brushes out there, but I am trying to narrow it down to a few candidates before I make a choice.

The Heritage Stubby 1xl or any size for that matter is the answer.
I had the Chubby in Super two band and the Stubby is softer.
If you don't want scritchy, then the Heritage line is the way to go.
The Heritage line is phenomenal.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Heritage 1XL is a superb brush, a regular in my routine. I like my Mutant Chubby2 Super just a little bit more, but not much

I really like my CH1 Best, except that the tips are a little too scratchy for my liking, especially on the neck area. What about the CH1 Super 3-band or CH1 Super 2-band? I am looking for something with softer tips (super or silver tip) that has some scrub, but no scratch. I don't want a brush with tips so soft that I can't feel anything on my face while face lathering. Make sense? I also want something with similar specs as my CH1 Best (handle size/grip-feels great in the hand, nice backbone, knot size, loft, density etc.) That leads me to the Rooney Heritage line. The Stubby 1 has similar specs as the CH1. Or maybe something a little different like the Stubby 1XL. Slightly bigger fan shaped knot and slightly shorter loft and similar handle. From my limited research, it is a dense brush but not a lather hog like the CH1. I wouldn't mind a brush that is not a lather hog and releases lather with ease. I know there are tons of brushes out there, but I am trying to narrow it down to a few candidates before I make a choice.

You may not like the Rooney Heritage 2-band hair if this is the case. I have the 2XL and it is borderline too soft for me. I like to feel the hairs working my face.

I'd suspect Simpsons Super 3-band would be more to your liking but I don't own one so I can't say for sure.

Thanks guys, keep it coming. The easy thing would be for me to stick with Simpsons and go with a CH1 Super because I am familiar with the brand. Not that easy though :) What are the differences between CH1 Super in 3-band and 2-band? I really like the CH1 handle. It's the perfect handle in my opinion. The handle on the Rooney Stubby 1XL is similar and the super silvertip fan shaped knot is intriguing. Would you consider it soft with scrub but no scratch and nice backbone?

. Would you consider it soft with scrub but no scratch and nice backbone?

I have both the 2XL & 3XL and use them exclusively for face-lathering. I'm not a fan of "scritch" and they avoid that with beautifully soft tips but plenty of backbone for the job at hand. They also don't hog lather like my Chubbies. The Chubby is a wonderful brush and one that all others can be measured against but those Rooneys perform brilliantly and would be my candidate for the desert island brush if the seat wasn't already taken by Mr. Thater. Just to complicate the decision (that's why we're here , right?), your description of what you're looking for seemed to perfectly match a Style 1 M&F. These are very well made lovely brushes that will treat your face like a long-lost lover.

The 1XL could be the perfect brush for me..soft tips, no scritch and plenty of backbone.

The 1XL and CH1 handle and overall brush heights are about the same. The 1XL's knot and loft are slightly larger than the CH1 Best. Also, the 1XL is fan shaped and the CH1 is bulb shaped. Will the 1XL feel significantly bigger on the face?

Oy, that's why we're here. I'll take a look at the M&F Style 1.

I have both the 2XL & 3XL and use them exclusively for face-lathering. I'm not a fan of "scritch" and they avoid that with beautifully soft tips but plenty of backbone for the job at hand. They also don't hog lather like my Chubbies. The Chubby is a wonderful brush and one that all others can be measured against but those Rooneys perform brilliantly and would be my candidate for the desert island brush if the seat wasn't already taken by Mr. Thater. Just to complicate the decision (that's why we're here , right?), your description of what you're looking for seemed to perfectly match a Style 1 M&F. These are very well made lovely brushes that will treat your face like a long-lost lover.

I am banging my head all over the place about my next brush selection. Here is something to ponder. The specs of the T&H Silivertip Badger Style I small are pretty much right on with the CH1. I believe that T&H silvertip = Rooney super silvertip. Why wouldn't I buy the T&H silvertip small brush for $89 (less 15% discount plus $6 ups ground shipping) as opposed to spending a lot more for a "higher end" silvertip made by another manufacturer, ie Rooney?

http://www.truefittandhill.com/detail_00273__19.html

I believe that T&H silvertip = Rooney super silvertip. Why wouldn't I buy the T&H silvertip small brush for $89 (less 15% discount plus $6 ups ground shipping) as opposed to spending a lot more for a "higher end" silvertip made by another manufacturer, ie Rooney?

The T&H might be the same as the Rooney and equal to or better than the Simpson. I honestly don't know as I have never used one of their brushes and don't know who makes them. I will tell you that Vulfix brushes with the same specs as Simpson do not feel or perform the same. They are excellent brushes in their own right, but markedly different than Simpson. If you find T&H equal, it would make sense to get the lower priced product. There was a great Simpson Tulip on BST this afternoon at a steal of a price, I'd be watching there for something delicious.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I am banging my head all over the place about my next brush selection. Here is something to ponder. The specs of the T&H Silivertip Badger Style I small are pretty much right on with the CH1. I believe that T&H silvertip = Rooney super silvertip. Why wouldn't I buy the T&H silvertip small brush for $89 (less 15% discount plus $6 ups ground shipping) as opposed to spending a lot more for a "higher end" silvertip made by another manufacturer, ie Rooney?

http://www.truefittandhill.com/detail_00273__19.html

:lol: I don't know, why?

As I told you in my first post to you......... that is the nature of SBAD......... and part of why I have over > 25 brushes. :blushing:

Something to keep in mind is that Rooney slivertip is not the same hair as the Heritage 2-banded that is carried by Vintage Blades. At the end of the day, it is only by trying a brush that you will know how well it works for you.

I have the T&H 1/1 (small) and it is a very nice brush. Fan shaped, may be a little softer than Simpson's Best hair but not among the softest silvertips.

You seem rather particular so the only way you'll know for sure is to try several (ALL) of the brushes you mention and then sell the ones you don't like as much.

I can easily afford the Rooney Heritage Stubby 1XL, but $154.99 would be the most I ever spent on a brush. Not sure if that is justifiable. That's why I brought up the T&H silvertip alternative, which is about half the price. I just need to bite the bullet and buy a Rooney Heritage Stubby 1XL to scratch the itch then take it from there.

For me with no doubt,the Rooney 1XL is best. Although I prefer the 2XL and 3XL more. The 1XL is a little small if you have large hands like me. But the Rooney Stubby XL line has the softest tips ever. But only after the brush is wet.

Craig

I can easily afford the Rooney Heritage Stubby 1XL, but $154.99 would be the most I ever spent on a brush. Not sure if that is justifiable. That's why I brought up the T&H silvertip alternative, which is about half the price. I just need to bite the bullet and buy a Rooney Heritage Stubby 1XL to scratch the itch then take it from there.

Am I just missing something here? :confused1 We are comparing apples to apples Right!

I mean the Ronney Heritage 2 band hair is nothing like the 3 band silvertip. Wouldn't the T&H style 1 small be the same as compared to the Ronney style 1 size 1 / 3 band silvertip that Vintage Blades sell for $74.99?

The performance of the Ronney Heritage stubby 2 band 1xl would be nothing like these other brushes!

A TGN silvertip is nice but not super soft. In fact the TGN line I found the super badger to be 10x more softer than their three silvertips. Even their super silvertip wasn't as soft as my super badger TGN knot.

Fair enough. I was not comparing apples to apples, but what really makes the Heritage Stubby 1XL about double the price of the Style 1 Size 1 small? The Style 1 Size 1 small seems like a nice value play. How do they compare in terms on tips softness, density, backbobe, overall performance, etc?

Am I just missing something here? :confused1 We are comparing apples to apples Right!

I mean the Ronney Heritage 2 band hair is nothing like the 3 band silvertip. Wouldn't the T&H style 1 small be the same as compared to the Ronney style 1 size 1 / 3 band silvertip that Vintage Blades sell for $74.99?

The performance of the Ronney Heritage stubby 2 band 1xl would be nothing like these other brushes!

Top Bottom