What's new

Tim Tebow's Shaving Stuff

Where is the hero worship for doctors, teachers, first responders, etc.?

The soldiers. The cops. The firemen. The teachers. The doctors. The dentists. The paramedics. The social workers. The religious leaders. Those with serious illnesses. Those with unorthodox lifestyles. Those who volunteer. Single parents. Married parents. Parents in general. Anyone who has ever had any adversity at all. I've heard all of them called heroes.

It's getting to be where you can't chuck a rock without hitting a hero, nowadays.

I remember when someone had to truly do something exceptionally extraordinary before people would apply that label to someone. People must be way more heroic this generation than preceding ones.

Last edited:
The soldiers. The cops. The firemen. The teachers. The doctors. The dentists. The paramedics. The social workers. The religious leaders. Those with serious illnesses. Those with unorthodox lifestyles. Those who volunteer. Single parents. Married parents. Parents in general. Anyone who has ever had any adversity at all. I've heard all of them called heroes.

It's getting to be where you can't chuck a rock without hitting a hero, nowadays.

I remember when someone had to truly do something exceptionally extraordinary before people would apply that label to someone. People must be way more heroic this generation than preceding ones.

I agree totally. Do any of us know the most recent Medal of Honor winners? Those are the people we need to be appreciative of.

I'm a huge Broncos fan and don't particularly like him as a football player. Inaccurate, bad decisions.

I'm not bothered that much about the christianity stuff. I'm not the most religious person but don't mind how he goes about it. He talks about it which is ok as I think he's being respectful... also him talking about it a lot could be based on the questions reporters are asking as they're trying to get a story by riling readers up about it. One thing though, I don't like him praying after touchdowns (or any football player). That I think is a bit disrespectful as I think the Man Upstairs has better things to do than pay attention to a football game. Other than that I'm ok with him and he seems like a good guy.

What makes me really sick about him though isn't what he's doing, but what the people above have been talking about in prior posts - the media is going nuts and I'm tired of seeing him all over. A few days before the Pats game there was a one hour Sports Center just about Tebow. That's not really his fault though so I have to fault the media.

Unlike a guy who chucks a football? You know exactly what I meant. I was simply alluding to the fact that athletes are worshiped in the USA while teachers, doctors, etc. are ignored. And for you to claim, "I remember when someone had to truly do something exceptionally extraordinary before people would apply that label to someone." That is simply your opinion. Has a doctor ever saved anyone in your family from dying of cancer or some other terrible illness? It is pretty damn extraordinary if you ask me. Social workers who have BA degrees (many have MA degrees) and yet decide to work for roughly $30,000 a year to help children....again, pretty extraordinary to me. Much more so than someone who throws a football.

We're not really arguing about whether or not Tebow is a hero, are we? He's a guy that gets paid a lot of money to throw a football around. He's a celebrity, not a hero. I think you ought to reserve the idea of hero for someone who does something courageous or admirable. I suppose that heroism is a subjective thing, so he could be somebody's hero. Just seems to me that it dilutes the meaning of a perfectly good word (hero) when there are plenty of other (celebrity, star, pro athlete etc.) that describe what he does. It would be weird at a White House ceremony to give some young Marine the Medal of Honor if the president described him as a jock or a celebrity. I think it's just as weird to think of a guy who gets paid to play a sport as a hero. Clearly YMMV.

We're not really arguing about whether or not Tebow is a hero, are we? He's a guy that gets paid a lot of money to throw a football around. He's a celebrity, not a hero. I think you ought to reserve the idea of hero for someone who does something courageous or admirable. I suppose that heroism is a subjective thing, so he could be somebody's hero. Just seems to me that it dilutes the meaning of a perfectly good word (hero) when there are plenty of other (celebrity, star, pro athlete etc.) that describe what he does. It would be weird at a White House ceremony to give some young Marine the Medal of Honor if the president described him as a jock or a celebrity. I think it's just as weird to think of a guy who gets paid to play a sport as a hero. Clearly YMMV.

I pretty much agree with what you just said, but you cannot deny that SERIOUS hero worship of athletes occurs in the USA. Just because you don't engage in hero worship of your favorite athlete does not mean that a good portion of other sports fans do not. Grown men melting like little girls at a Lady Gaga concert when they get to attend a meet and greet of a sports figure or attend a sports game (you see the signs these fans hold). I don't even see HALF the admiration for any other profession. Just my opinion.......

Tim Tebow is a Christian who is not afraid to show how he feels! I know I for one could follow in his lead and show my beliefs more than I do. It takes a strong person to do what he has done and it is a shame we as a society have gotten to the point where we can't show our beliefs or faith in public. If you don't like him or want to hear about him then turn off the TV or change the channel. Lord knows all you have to do is use the remote! Don't even have to get out of your lazy boy to do that!

How about talking about what Shaving Stuff Tim Tebow would use or even Tim Tebow as a football player?

Let's not veer off into touchier subjects?

-jim

That is simply your opinion.

I'm commenting on the world as observed within my lifetime.

When I grew up, someone had to stand on the back of a burning tank and single handedly hold off waves of enemy troops with a machine gun (bonus points if you know who that is) to achieve hero status. Anyone who was doing what they were expected in their job description didn't get that title, they didn't even get a pat on the back, they got a paycheck. (even football players) We had things called "role models", and children were encouraged to view police firemen soldiers etc... as role models. Teachers, didn't really even make that cut. Doctors, only in the fact that they were paid very well. Everyone else, they just made a career choice. Social workers, well that was just a choice that meant you didn't have to wait tables, be a seamstress, or work in a plant. Serious illness survivors, well since everyone eventually gets sick and dies, no special status was given. Exceptional athletes were often given role model status because they exceed the norm, but never hero status.

Currently, there is a weird metric that I received no training in and don't understand. It goes something like... if one does a job for less than they should they get positive hero points, or if they do something and get paid well they get negative hero points. Unless, in the course of doing their normal job, they manage to save a life, then they get all of their hero points back. And anything dealing with children gets automatic hero points. Anything dealing with illness, adversity, unorthodoxy, and the like gets automatic hero points. Then there are media driven hero points, where if one gets their picture on tv enough they get points. Like I said, I wasn't trained in that so I don't understand it. My instinct tells me it is related to the phenomena of "every one is a winner" where even losers get trophies.

When I grew up, someone had to stand on the back of a burning tank and single handedly hold off waves of enemy troops with a machine gun (bonus points if you know who that is) to achieve hero status. Anyone who was doing what they were expected in their job description didn't get that title, they didn't even get a pat on the back, they got a paycheck. (even football players) We had things called "role models", and children were encouraged to view police firemen soldiers etc... as role models. Teachers, didn't really even make that cut. Doctors, only in the fact that they were paid very well. Everyone else, they just made a career choice. Social workers, well that was just a choice that meant you didn't have to wait tables, be a seamstress, or work in a plant. Serious illness survivors, well since everyone eventually gets sick and dies, no special status was given. Exceptional athletes were often given role model status because they exceed the norm, but never hero status.

Currently, there is a weird metric that I received no training in and don't understand. It goes something like... if one does a job for less than they should they get positive hero points, or if they do something and get paid well they get negative hero points. Unless, in the course of doing their normal job, they manage to save a life, then they get all of their hero points back. And anything dealing with children gets automatic hero points. Anything dealing with illness, adversity, unorthodoxy, and the like gets automatic hero points. Then there are media driven hero points, where if one gets their picture on tv enough they get points. Like I said, I wasn't trained in that so I don't understand it. My instinct tells me it is related to the phenomena of "every one is a winner" where even losers get trophies.

Ace, I rarely agree with you, but I will buy you a beer after this post.

On topic: I'll bet Tebow shaves with whatever Gillette pays him to shave with. :001_tt2:

Well, I absolutely do not think everyone is a "winner" in this world. But you have made it quite clear now that you and I do not put the same amount of stock into the word "hero". I guess I do not consider it anywhere near as sacred as you do......

Everyone,

Once again my intent of the original post was meant to be about shaving stuff in a fun and playful manner. I never, ever wanted to start a discussion on religion. The mere mention of Tim Tebow really threw this thread off track and started to polarize the many fine folks here on B & B. That was never my intention. We are simply a diverse community that enjoys life and wet shaving.

Everyone,

Once again my intent of the original post was meant to be about shaving stuff in a fun and playful manner. I never, ever wanted to start a discussion on religion. The mere mention of Tim Tebow really threw this thread off track and started to polarize the many fine folks here on B & B. That was never my intention. We are simply a diverse community that enjoys life and wet shaving.

It is not your fault where this conversation went. And I don't think anyone is any less of a "fine folk" for simply expressing an opinion on this matter that is different than mine. If someone thinks less of me because of it, so be it. I did not find anyone being disrespectful in anyway. I have seen more heated arguments over the scent of Tabac to be completely honest. Seriously....you want to see polarizing? Go start a trolling thread about Tabac.......haha.....be careful though. You have been warned.

I really would like to see the hero worship of ballplayers go away. There are far better people in our world to look up to.

Top Bottom