What's new

I use a GREEN badger brush now due to Barbicide. Any ideas to remove the green?

:angry: Greetings, all! I am most irritated with myself over a faux pas, more likely a heinous sacriledge to some here on B&B. Recently, I allowed myself to be pressured by my SWMBO into "sterilizing" my shave brush after its use by a friend. Famous last words: it seemed like a good idea at the time. :001_unsur

I soaked my TedBuilt cream tipped best/super badger brush (20mm knot from Golden Nib) in Barbicide and pulled out a GREEN-tipped badger brush! It had become Frankenbrush! I shampooed and rinsed the brush but to no avail. It has remained green. Perhaps it is wishful thinking but in the few uses since its greening, maybe I have noticed that the green is paler? While I know no one here envies my owning a green brush, would anyone have a suggestion on how I might get the green out? I haven't as yet tried vinegar; I plan to do so tomorrow.

Thank you for your advice.

Ted, owner of the world's only St. Patrick's Day Badger Brush :clover:

Would you mind to post a picture? This won't help in any way, I'd just like to see the brush. I do know you can soak your brush in a mix of borax and water. This may help. Look up mantic59 and brush cleaning on YouTube.

They recomend 10 minutes. I've never had any discoloration issues and have dipped many badger brushes.

Follow the directions for dilution (more is not better) and follow the directions for contact time with the disinfectant.

About all you can do is keep using it and see if the color fades out. It should not have harmed the brush.

Last edited:
This thread requires a picture of a green brush . . ..

-1 to OP until said picture appears, at which time I'll edit to +1

:biggrin:

I just received from LarryAndro @ Whipped Dog two knots. He included a small packet of OxiClean to get the badger smell out. It is a mild bleaching agent that might knock the green color down.

I had a vintage boar that was in need of a good bleaching. I used a hydrogen peroxide dilution. I think it was for 15 min or so and then I put it in the sun to dry. I think it helped. Pics please.

I'd say: borax it, and lather with it very frequently. I don't know if bleaching it with oxygen peroxide would help, but if you decide to try, be it in a REALLY diluted solution (maybe 5% in volume or even less) and watch it very carefully.

Well, it DID happen! :001_tt2:

And, attached is a pic, so there. $green brush2.jpg

It's difficult to see the green well, but in the tips, where they should be a cream color, the tips have a somewhat greenish cast to them.
The brush works just fine, as it always has. Tried the vinegar; no change. Not sure if I have any borax. Going to Mal-Wart later, can get some there.

How long did you leave it in the barbicide? Was it diluted according to directions (16 parts water to 1 part barbicide)?

You are going to have to help us out here so that someone else does not follow the same procedure you did.

I "dunk" a brush then set it on the handle so the disinfectant can run down inside. two maybe 3 dunks over a 10 minute time period. Then rinse with luke warm water, then go into dish soap palm lathering again to make sure everything is cleared out and a final palm lathering with shave soap.

If the discoloration has not effected how the brush functions I would not worry about it too much. Over time it will fade.

Hahahahaha!!! Good one, Arcadies!

Turtle:
"How long did you leave it in the barbicide? Was it diluted according to directions (16 parts water to 1 part barbicide)?"
--I don't know how long I'd left it in the Barbicide. Very likely longer than 10 minutes.
--I do believe the solution was mixed
correctly. I most likely left it in too long.

You are going to have to help us out here so that someone else does not follow the same procedure you did.

I "dunk" a brush then set it on the handle so the disinfectant can run down inside. two maybe 3 dunks over a 10 minute time period. Then rinse with luke warm water, then go into dish soap palm lathering again to make sure everything is cleared out and a final palm lathering with shave soap.

If the discoloration has not effected how the brush functions I would not worry about it too much. Over time it will fade.

I also was wondering if Peroxide could have any negative effects on the glue.

Yeah, it could. H2O2 is a pretty strong oxidizing agent, so a dilute solution will be safer. The stuff you can buy @ Walmart is pretty dilute. Borax (as suggested above) is pretty mild. OxiClean in solution is basically a dilute sol'n of H2O2. Either should be safe.

Top Bottom