What's new

Not Another "Which Semogue?" Thread! (Ok... kinda)

This "which Semogue" question is rather specific and is targeted to the guys who own and use multiple Semogue boar brushes.

I have an 830 which I love! It's been getting more use than my badgers since I bought it a few months back. I really want to expand my lineup and collection of these awesome brushes, but I don't have alot of extra cash to just buy any/all of them. I need to be more specific.

So specifically I want a new Semogue that is another great representation of their brushes BUT is as different as is possible from the 830. For example they say the 830 is like the 1305 with a little extra hair. I don't want a difference like that. I want as big a difference as can be had. Please omit the special LE's or Caravela or badger hair etc. You know, the stuff that's really pricey and/or impossible to find. I'm looking for an easy to find/buy Semogue boar.

Can't wait to hear your recommendations!
Thanks!

#1. 2000, a pretty big loft and knot but it has two types of White Tops or #2. 1800, Has the Premium Tops with the Extra Tops for added backbone, but it has the same specs as your current Brush, not necessarily a bad thing since the Hair composition will give it a different feel. Both are available from Vintage Scent for the Best Price, ~$48.00 Shipped FOR BOTH, B/S/T the one you don't want. I currently own neither, but would take the loser off your hands, I could always set the 2000 in a different Handle.

Depending on what you like in your brush I would agree with the SOC, which is perfect for me or the 2000. Just bear in mind that the 2000 is considered a soft brush, it splays quite a lot, but is still a great brush.

Depending on what you like in your brush I would agree with the SOC, which is perfect for me or the 2000. Just bear in mind that the 2000 is considered a soft brush, it splays quite a lot, but is still a great brush.

Thanks, you just saved me from buying a 2000!

In regards to the OP, I would recommend the 1800 -different feeling mixed bristle knot and handle, but same knot and loft as your 830, excellent brush for the price.

Another pleasant surprise is the oft overlooked 1460/1470. Nice loft of 50mm for face-lathering, very nice hair grade without the band, and an extremely natural and comfortable handle. They don't look like the pageant queens of the Semogue line, but they truly deliver. Both of the recommendations are great values.

Last edited:
1800...finest kind. It just works well in any application I have subjected it to. Was my only brush to travel with me to the eastern Caribbean this month. Worked just fine.

All of the above mentioned brushes will be significantly different from your 830/1305 brushes.

I personally have the 1460 (painted handle version of the 1470) and the 1800 as well as the 1305. They all have a very different feel and are all superb brushes.

The 1460 has a small 50mm loft that gives it a density that makes for a great face lathering brush. Once broken in, it's tips are soft yet, you will always know that you are dealing with a little brush with real backbone. IMO, this is the Yeorman brush that reminds you I imagine earlier generations of shavers used regularly.

The 1800 has a slightly longer loft, and once broken in is very soft, and IMO a good blend of luxurious tip softness with good backbone. If the 1460 is the Yeoman brush, the 1800 is a luxury Yeoman brush.

Both are smaller knots than the 1305/830 when bloomed/broken in.

1520 or 620 would be a good place to start. It's the same brush with different handles. Much better backbone with these brushes than the 830.

Thanks everyone!

Looks like I may need to pick up a few new Semogues... That's really bad, but I'm not sure I can resist. Sounds like the 1800 has a big following, and it sounds like the 1460/70 is a big standout against their other offerings.

Question:

Does anyone own or have experience with the 2030B? I have never heard it mentioned here before and I'm surprised. It looks really nice IMO, and if it's really chrome/brass handled as they say that would be awesome. And the price is nice too! Anyone?

Do you mean this one? :biggrin1:

proxy.php

Like all other Semogues, it is a very nice brush, and I like it better than I anticipated at the arrival.
Despite being a metal handle it isn't that heavy and the grip is fine (in my hand).

Yea shm, that's the one! What a great pic BTW, thanks for that since I'd only seen the mediocre Vintage Scent pic. If you could compare it to another more well known model, which would it be? I'll probably buy one regardless of performance since I love the look and the price, but I'm still curious :)

I would say it is pretty much on par with the 820, 830 and 1460.

The 820 and 830 has a slightly higher loft (4 mm) where the 1460 is identical to the 2030B.

The data and photos of my brushes can be found here if you are interested.

And just for the fun of it; a fresh comparison photo :001_smile

Attachments

• $2030B_comp.jpg
    $2030B_comp.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 128
Top Bottom