What's new

New blade every shave?

I use a blade for a week and change it out every Saturday. Interestingly, when Alcatraz was a Federal Prison, the inmates were issued two razor blades every Saturday. They were requited to be clean shaven every day and had to turn in their two used blades to get two new blades each week. Having more than two blades in your cell or in your possession got you thrown into an isolation cell. If you refused to shave you were thrown into an isolation cell and forcibly "dry shaved" every other day until you began to shave daily.

I only use a blade once. I have a really thick beard. As was noted in the original post, for the cheap price of blades it is no big deal. I like having a new, sharp blade for every shave. I have never experienced this so called "break in" that a lot of others describe. For me...the more you use a blade...the duller it gets...not smoother.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but if you only use a blade once, there's no way you could experience the "break in".

I use razor blades (Feathers) for three to six shaves (one week's worth) and replace the blade every Monday.

Thanks,
Mike

I have found my HOLY GRAIL razor. It's like rolling the side of your pen around your face. Doesn't feel like it's cutting and no razor burn, and still going strong on my fourth shave. UNFORTUNATELY it's a vintage pack of a non spoiler Gillette.

Wow, I see many here get so many shaves from one blade. I get 3 shave max, no matter what blade I use, and I happen to shave everyday.

With one or two blades, I find the 2nd shave is better, but not with many - but with most good blades, at least the first 3 or 4 shaves are equally good. To me, that means it's completely pointless changing the blade (and it increases the chance of cutting yourself).

Top Bottom