Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New blade every shave?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New blade every shave?

I was curious if anyone chooses to use a new blade every shave? It seems you can get good blade from 5-20ish cent. Which is much less than most spent on several other daily items coffee, food, etc. So why bother having an inferior shave over a few scents. Am I foolish to start doing this, it just seems like a decent enough plan to get better shaves. The constant changing will also allow me to better clean and maintain my razor.
    Interested to here other views on this.
    Alex

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Images

Some blades don't "mellow out" until the second shave.....
    Mick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In my limited time DE shaving it seems shaves number 2-4 are far smoother than shave number 1 on every blade i have tried.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree with turtle and rgeudy. My second shave is always better than the first. I use Blue personnas and I get three shaves from them.
    As usual YMMV
    Chris Member of BOTOC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I use blades more than once but that's only because I'm miserly. I never realized that blades might need to be broken in, so to speak, as the posters above mentioned.

There are folks here who have stated they only used blades once, though, for similar reasons as yours, so you aren't alone.
    "My mileage varies more than your mileage."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I only use a blade once. I have a really thick beard. As was noted in the original post, for the cheap price of blades it is no big deal. I like having a new, sharp blade for every shave. I have never experienced this so called "break in" that a lot of others describe. For me...the more you use a blade...the duller it gets...not smoother.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Images

Dorco or Sharp brand blades would fit the bill for using a new blade every shave; they are relatively inexpensive when purchased by the 100 pack.

marty
    Ookla... Ariel.....RIDE!!!!

"Noble Knight of the Veg Table"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htownmmm View Post
    Dorco or Sharp brand blades would fit the bill for using a new blade every shave; they are relatively inexpensive when purchased by the 100 pack.

marty
    I think most blades are inexpensive enough to ditch after one shave. Except Feathers and a few others (those are a bit expensive). Even if a blade costs 20 cents, I think it is still worth using a new one each shave. Still only $6 a month in blade (shaving everyday). That is damn near the price of 1 fancy 5 blade cart razor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I use a Derby blade for four shaves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

For me it seems like Shark Super Chrome's need to be broken in before they start cutting effortlessly. If you can buy your blade of choice in bulk and at a discount, use a new one everyday if it works for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Too many variables here. I used to like the idea of a nice blade for every shave, then for the hell of it used a razor that had a few day old blade in it and felt the shave was more comfortable. I think you should try this a few times, see how you feel, and go from there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I find that the 2nd and 3rd shaves are better than the first. Currently I find I am happy with Astra SP or Red IP/Crystal for 4 full shaves after which it seems to go off, so 4 days from a blade is fine for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Gillette bleue extras I can go a whole week, same with feathers sometimes. I dont like the idea of ditching a blade after one shave.
    Bill

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

I use feathers exclusively, I like a sharp blade, I don't find a more comfortable or mellow shave after the first use. I toss the blade after 2-3 shaves, well before I feel any pulling. I tired to fee how many shaves I get from a blade when I first started DE shaving-then I stopped when I realized there is no point.

If you want to use a new blade for each shave then go ahead, for me the second and third are still great.
    [I]Ho inventato le fettuccine Alfredo[/I]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I used to shave with my shavette(see sig.), I would switch blades every 4 or so shaves. I definitely noticed that shaves 2 through 4 were smoothest, and it declined after that. I don't know what it was, but that first shave never was too smooth.
    Paul - Cartridge to shavette: 4/20/2011. Shavette to straight: 10/13/2011.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

I use my blades for 3 shaves and that's it. I am still evaluating blades and creams/soaps and once I settle on a couple of "really likes" then I may see how long THAT blade lasts.
    "My wife combs her hair 100x times...I do the same thing to my Silvertip Brush".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For me, two shaves max on most blades, especially the Feather which seems to drop-off fast after two.
    Honor the past and forget about the Futur. Buy vintage!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    For me it seems like Shark Super Chrome's need to be broken in before they start cutting effortlessly. If you can buy your blade of choice in bulk and at a discount, use a new one everyday if it works for you.
    I find Shark blades to be this way too. Its funny, but Shark blades are the only ones I have found to have this "break-in" period. The number of shaves I use a blade for depends on the brand. I can only get one shave out of a Feather. That first shave is just wickedly awesome, but the second shave pulls like you wouldn't believe. Others, I can get two. And there are few I use 3 times. I never use any more than 3 times. But, I do agree with your philosophy, that they are cheap enough to use a new one each day if you want to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Average length of time for the blades I currently use (Astra SP) is 4 shaves. Best shaves are usually the 2nd and 3rd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Two shaves max, even for Feathers. I don't want to have to think about the variable while I'm shaving.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast