What's new

The art of pipes, cigars, and wetshaving

Well, I remember grandpa and dad doing the shave prep with a brush, soap, and a DE razor. Although I'm closer to 50 than 40, I don't remember doing the wetshave thing.

I remember my first pipe and my first cigar - both almost 30 years ago. I have grown to enjoy the ritual that goes into both as I prepare for a relaxing smoke - and those things which make both the pipe and the cigar a great experience - that and of course, the smoking of them. Relaxing and enjoying them comes as part of the whole ritual.

I used to be a cigarette smoker, and there is a similarity to smoking a cigarette that is much like shaving with a multiblade cartridge and shave cream from a can. It gets the job done, but there is no "personality" in either.

Now that I am a newbie to wetshaving, there is a certain similarity in the preparation and ultimate shave. It is the total experience that makes it enjoyable, as the ritual gives personality to shaving.

I have a teenage son who was starting to shave before I had begun to experience wetshaving. I bought him a Mach3, a can of shave goop, showed him what to do. It was a chore I prepared him for, but without fanfare and without much love for it. "You make your face presentable by doing this. Get it done quickly and get on with your day. Wow! What a terrible father I was. But it was because I had never been given a love for care of my own face.

In retrospect, when he was born I chose a put a couple premium, hand-rolled cigars (2 Cubans and 2 Domestics) aside in a humidor to age until he is old enough for me to sit down and enjoy one with me - one each for him and for me. He's seen the ritual of cutting, lighting, and finally smoking a fine cigar. When he is ready, I had plans to teach him how to do so himself - carefully snip or punch the cigar, toast the foot, light it, sit back and savor the flavor.

He's watched me prepare a pipe for smoking and enjoys the aroma that fills the air. I have a pipe selected that I will give him to try when he's the right age. I will sit with him and walk him through the steps of the art of enjoying a fine pipe.

Now, we are learning together the art of caring for our faces by the art of wetshaving. I am glad we are learning together. But, I am saddened that my father and I never shared that experience. We're learning how to work up a good lather, rejoicing when we get the right consistency and can massage it into our face. He's still going with the Mach3 (the DE blades scare him) but he's promised to try that once he learns the first step - prepping his face so that he gets a close shave without the pain. He's learning the ritual and the joy of a shave.

I think of the years that I lost just scraping the whiskers off my face. I look forward to learning more about the art of the shave here at B&B.

It is my hope that I can bring the enjoyment of the art of fine tobacco to those who are teaching me to enjoy the art of the shave.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Todd

Thank you very much for sharing your story. My father chose to never be in my life. Don't feel bad about your first shaving experience with your son. You have already done more than what many fathers choose to do. You have the rest of your lives to share special moments. Your son will never forget them.

Great post! There seems to be a connection in most of the hobbies indulged on this forum. Stay out of The Nib, unless you're looking for something else to spend your money on, it seems to draw like minded folks to it like a moth to a flame.

Awesome post! My dad and I are best friends. For a while I got him into wet shaving. But now at the age of 67 I think he does not care about BBS as much and he went back to the electric. However, my most memorable cigars are shared with him. Anyway, what makes this forum so great are gentlemen like you Todd. Peace of the Lord be with you also my friend.

Don't get me wrong, my dad and I are close. He just didn't like, and still hates, shaving. I talked to him about wetshaving and when I mentioned a DE razor he looked at me like I was nuts. He said, "Are you crazy? You'd willingly tear up your face?" I tried talking to him since I have done it a couple times, as I think he didn't do proper face prep. He didn't want to listen. He did say though, that he had a mug, a brush, and a stand that I could have. He wasn't going to use them. At 78, I guess he can make his own decisions.

Good to see a couple friends from Cigar Asylum over here - Commander and AW.

Oh yeah, I have a couple NIBs already. Been using a bladder Pelikan for about 24 years. Never entered a discussion group about them though. Don't know if it is even called a bladder anymore. Don't care. Love my pen, know it is a slope, won't go there. :D

In retrospect, when he was born I chose a put a couple premium, hand-rolled cigars (2 Cubans and 2 Domestics) aside in a humidor to age until he is old enough for me to sit down and enjoy one with me - one each for him and for me. He's seen the ritual of cutting, lighting, and finally smoking a fine cigar. When he is ready, I had plans to teach him how to do so himself - carefully snip or punch the cigar, toast the foot, light it, sit back and savor the flavor.

Todd

And also with you.

What a fantastic idea & what an idiot I am for not thinking of doing the same! I'll be off by 13 years, but I am immediately stealing this idea from you. Thankfully I have a few that already have some age on them so that I will be able to sit down with him and at least smoke a pair of 7-8 year old Cuban cigars when he is of age.

Great post; Welcome to B&B! It is not by accident that so many of us around here start out looking for info on wetshaving and then eventually get drawn into other gentlemanly pursuits such as cigars, pipes, fountain pens and other relatively affordable luxury items that we can indulge in. B&B is a unique place, and the content of the forums is directly related to the character and personality of its members.

73, I would bet that if you looked around, you might find Cuban cigars with the born on date for your son's birth month and year. Just a thought. Interestingly, you will know when they were rolled. I have Cubans with the month and year of my sons' births.

I got some AF Chateau Fuentes set aside that I purchased when my sons were born had no date on the box. They could have been rolled anywhere from 6 months (the time AF ages them before shipping them out for sale), or a few years before they were born.

Just a thought.

And, you might even find some NCs - if you ask the right people nicely - purchase from the year your son's birth.

Great post; Welcome to B&B! It is not by accident that so many of us around here start out looking for info on wetshaving and then eventually get drawn into other gentlemanly pursuits such as cigars, pipes, fountain pens and other relatively affordable luxury items that we can indulge in. B&B is a unique place, and the content of the forums is directly related to the character and personality of its members.

+1 I was already a wet shaver, but my 19-year-old son got me into cigars. I suppose a little background is in order. My son is a combat engineer recently returned from Afghanistan after being wounded in action. His squad smoked cigars after long missions and I found that smoking cigars is better than most therapy sessions for him. It's really important to have something like this to share with your son.

Best regards,

Andrew

+1 I was already a wet shaver, but my 19-year-old son got me into cigars. I suppose a little background is in order. My son is a combat engineer recently returned from Afghanistan after being wounded in action. His squad smoked cigars after long missions and I found that smoking cigars is better than most therapy sessions for him. It's really important to have something like this to share with your son.

Best regards,

Andrew

Go visit Cigar Asylum http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/home.php , they do a vigorous shipping to our troops deployed. It is kind of like that board's private project. I don't know where you son got the cigars from, but there is a good possibility that they came from the brotherhood of the leaf over at CA.

Tell you son, Thanks! His service was/is appreciated.

Top Bottom