What's new

IWC Pilot's Chronograph Watch

I've been thinking about buying the IWC Pilot Chronograph for a daily beater. I already have a couple of Omega's for dress and was looking for something that could be dressed up and worn casually for everyday. The IWC Pilot's Watch uses a 79320 Cal, which is a highly modified Valjoux 7750 movement. I've heard that they are great watches and can easily take the daily punishment. I'm looking for a watch that's not too large (42mm) or gaudy and can easily be worn with a suit or sport coat. Is there anything that I should be aware of regarding IWC? The new models are expected to be in stores in April so this spring sould be a good time to buy so AD's can make room.

$IWC Pilot Chrono 371701.jpg

Attachments

• $IMG-0506.jpg
    $IMG-0506.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
I don't like to refer to a mechanical watch as a beater, but that does make a good daily wear piece. I own the previous model (Ref 3706) which has a case diameter of 39mm and it has been a very reliable and enjoyable watch. As you stated, this year is an update of the Pilot's line- it might be a good time to buy or perhaps the current models will be snapped up when people don't see what they are searching for in the new offerings.

The new models will be unveiled at SIHH in Geneva later this month but won't be in the stores until the second half of the year if history is any guide.

Last edited:
uh... isn't the IWC's slightly more pricey than the omegas?

My Omegas are a vintage 1959 Seamaster Manual and a 1969 De Ville Automatic. Not very pricey but they are very clean and run great! Both watches have an acrylic crystal so wearing them everyday is probably not the best idea.

Last edited:
What are you doing with my watch? I thought it was still in the winder??

Seriously, it's a great watch, and no reason why it should not be for every day.

That's a fine looking watch. My only comment on durability would be that a croc-embossed leather will not take anything like the use or water exposure that a stainless steel bracelet will. I have an IWC Ingenieur model and it is a great workhorse - I don't pamper watches - wear then in the machine shop, sauna or lab as well as to the opera or a business meeting. It keep perfect time and never misses a beat. Its only weak point is poor lume so it's hard or impossible to read in the dark unless it's very recently been charged up with a blast of bright light - may want to check this if it's important.

I already have a couple of Omega's for dress and was looking for something that could be dressed up and worn casually for everyday. The IWC Pilot's Watch uses a 79320 Cal, which is a highly modified Valjoux 7750 movement

What about an Omega Speedmaster Date? Sapphire crystal, and the movement is also based off the Valjoux 7750. The subdial layout is the same as the IWC you posted as well, if that's something you're after. Even from an AD it's still comes in under the IWC pricing.

proxy.php

<-- Full disclosure. I bought mine a few months ago (3212.80), and I absolutely love it.

.....I have an IWC Ingenieur model and it is a great workhorse - I don't pamper watches - wear then in the machine shop, sauna or lab as well as to the opera or a business meeting. It keep perfect time and never misses a beat.....

This is great! It should be in the IWC publicity. What an interesting life you lead, Mr Blantyre!

What about an Omega Speedmaster Date? Sapphire crystal, and the movement is also based off the Valjoux 7750. The subdial layout is the same as the IWC you posted as well, if that's something you're after. Even from an AD it's still comes in under the IWC pricing.

proxy.php

<-- Full disclosure. I bought mine a few months ago (3212.80), and I absolutely love it.

Great looking watch!!! I already have 2 Omegas dress watches (1959 Seamaster manual & 1969 De Ville Automatic) and I'm looking for a brand that's not very recognizable by the general public.

Great looking watch!!! I already have 2 Omegas dress watches (1959 Seamaster manual & 1969 De Ville Automatic) and I'm looking for a brand that's not very recognizable by the general public.

IWC is not the brand you are looking for then.

How about the Stowa Chrono (if you really want it to be a chronograph).

proxy.php

Royal Orient, Credor, Sinn or Grand Seiko then. Credor are un-known even to many who consider themselves watch guys and they are a a big step up from IWC.

Attachments

• $credor.jpg
    $credor.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
IWC is not the brand you are looking for then.

How about the Stowa Chrono (if you really want it to be a chronograph).

proxy.php

I looked at Stowa but they're always out of stock. Love this watch with the metal mesh bracelet.

IWC is less recognizable that Omega and Rolex.

I looked at Stowa but they're always out of stock. Love this watch with the metal mesh bracelet.

IWC is less recognizable that Omega and Rolex.

True, in no way am I trying to discourage you to buy the IWC, it is a great watch to say the least. It sounds like you have done your research and are pretty set on the IWC, rereading your op you didn't even ask for recommendations and I apologize for that.

Regarding the IWC, the Valjoux movement is a proven one with various maintenance locations around the world. IWCs have a reputation of excellence in regards to fit, finish and overall quality. I do not have any personal experience with the watch but I am sure you will be happy with the watch for a long time, if that is indeed what you choose to do.

Being a member of one of the major watch forums for a couple of years has changed my opinion of IWC. They aren't exactly seen as bad watches, but you can get better for the price, no question, including a Spring Drive or Grand Seiko, in addition to the brands I mentioned above. Also possibly a JLC or VC chrono, depending on the deal you can get.

I was looking at the JLC Master Control Chrono but its out of my price range unless I can find a good used one on TimeZone or Watchuseek.

$JLC_MCChrono.jpg

Another option I'm considering is Zenith El Primero.

$Zenith ElPrimero2.jpg

I know that I said that I would not choose Omega but this 9300 is superb!

$Omega-Speedmaster-9300-6.jpg

Last edited:
If the El Primero is in your budget, this is a higher end choice than the IWC. It is a considerably better movement than the modified 7750.

Top Bottom