What's new

My first stab at modifying a Gold Dollar

So I finally decided to get a couple of the super cheap #66 razors just to play around with them. They were of course pitiful when I got them, but they're coming around.

I was just going to fix them to hone and rescale them, but I decided to try my luck at a Seraphim-esque mod. It's not great, but looks OK for my first one. All in all I'm happy and it will likely make it into my straight rotation (if it shaves!).

The scales are just a temporary set that I took off the Gold Dollar Honing passaround razor (which I rescaled. Check the post in the main forum for it), and it still needs to be honed - she's as dull as ever at the moment.

So check it out. Comments and constructive criticism are welcome:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Yeah, dremel with two different diameter sanding drums. For polishing they have this new twist lock system and this accessory kit that I got has three different grades of scotch-brite style wheels that made very short work of cleaning up the grind marks. Then it's buffed out with Dico SCR.

Gonna probably try to shave with it this weekend - still have to hone it. Maybe tonight though. We will see.

Yeah, dremel with two different diameter sanding drums. For polishing they have this new twist lock system and this accessory kit that I got has three different grades of scotch-brite style wheels that made very short work of cleaning up the grind marks. Then it's buffed out with Dico SCR.

Gonna probably try to shave with it this weekend - still have to hone it. Maybe tonight though. We will see.
great idea on the scotch brite wheels... i have a 8/8ths++ W&B that needs a bit of loving from one of those....

My problem is that I'm very impatient. If I had to sit there for hours with a billion different grits of sandpaper, I wouldn't do it. Fast but controlled material removal makes me happy. Those dremel buffers worked a treat and rewarded me with progress in a short time.

That looks sweet! I need to get a few of those to practice on. Nice job sir. I am with you I can't sit there for hours with different grits, I like the slow controlled metal removal I can achieve with my dremel. I just bought one of the 100 piece acc. packs I haven't had a chance to mess around with it too much, looks like I need to get the scotch brite pads out and try them.

I have used the abrasive buffs on a few crusty $5 straights I picked up. Good metal removal and clean up, just two things.
1) Eye protection is a Must with lots of little bits flying all over the place, and
2) more disappointing is that I didn't get too much life out of the buffing wheels. I was able to clean up Two blades, 4 sides, then the buffing wheel got useless. They are not cheap either. But YMMV.

If anyone know a cheap source of these buffing wheels please let me know!

Thanks.....

I need to get that buffing stuff. I have a dozen restores that are driving me nuts with the sanding :sad:

I have used the abrasive buffs on a few crusty $5 straights I picked up. Good metal removal and clean up, just two things.
1) Eye protection is a Must with lots of little bits flying all over the place, and
2) more disappointing is that I didn't get too much life out of the buffing wheels. I was able to clean up Two blades, 4 sides, then the buffing wheel got useless. They are not cheap either. But YMMV.

If anyone know a cheap source of these buffing wheels please let me know!

Thanks.....

I'm sure it's by design... Expensive and they don't last. That smells like pure profit to me.

Top Bottom