What's new

1st barber shave

Humph.

The experience was great, but the shave was sorely lacking. I'm tempted to go lather up and finish with the Slant.

Others have said it before, a barber won't be able to shave you as close as you can yourself (given that you have some experience using your razor of course). It's all about the pampering.

I have never had a barbershop shave. In fact I have not been to a barber in ten years because I have been cutting my own hair.

But I remember back in the early 1990's right before I quit going The City of Kansas City passed an ordinance prohibiting barbers from using a razor due to the Aids scare/epidemic. That means they could not even use one to trim around the ears or neck nor could they shave you. I do not know if this is still the case.

My barber told me something similar. He does to straight razor shaves but can only use a disposable blade edge like that feather or dovo shavette..something like that.

I have never had a barbershop shave. In fact I have not been to a barber in ten years because I have been cutting my own hair.

But I remember back in the early 1990's right before I quit going The City of Kansas City passed an ordinance prohibiting barbers from using a razor due to the Aids scare/epidemic. That means they could not even use one to trim around the ears or neck nor could they shave you. I do not know if this is still the case.

Did they ban dentist exams, fillings and surgeries? I take it they never heard of autoclaves and sterilization.:001_huh:

Did they ban dentist exams, fillings and surgeries? I take it they never heard of autoclaves and sterilization.:001_huh:
Hard to autoclave a badger brush maybe?

In my area traditional shaves are hard to find. I had one last year. The barber used a traditional straight but not a brush, just a cream applied by hand. The shave didn't look bad but it felt pretty raw and was by no means close. The barber told me my beard hair was growing in all directions so he was not going to go against the grain.

I let my face recover and happily went back to my DE a few days later for an excellent shave. I'll check out a barbershop shave again some day, most likely not that particular location but will try to find one that gets a good recommendation.

I really do not know what the situation was as far as sterlization is concerned. But I also remember that the barber had to buy additional electric hair clippers because they extended the amount of time they were required to sterilize them.

Humph.

The experience was great, but the shave was sorely lacking. I'm tempted to go lather up and finish with the Slant.

Where did you go?
Next time I am in Vegas I was planning on getting a shave at one of the high end shops there.
Anyone have any experience with them?

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I watched a barber shop do the traditinal Straight/Disposable shave to the neck and around the ears to about 10 customers without ever changing blades.

I've had barber shaves w/ straight razors a couple of times in the past. I really liked the pampering, and probably the adrenaline rush a bit. My adrenaline does get going when I allow a stranger at my face with a blade that could probably take my head clean off.

I think the last time I had a barber shave was before my friends wedding. I was the best man and I had found out he had never had a barber shave. I insisted we go. That was in Bayonne, NJ adn it was a good shave. I don't remember the shop though. The others I had I believe were on Staten Island, NY on Broadway and forrest; but I think that shop closed.

Just a note, since I recently started DE shaving again and intend to eventually straight shave as well, I decided it was time to also stop getting my hair cut at my wife's "salon" and find a real barber. I hit a shop a couple of days ago that claimed to be a barber shop. It was full of big young tattooed guys and a young tattooed girl cut my hair, but ultimately it was a salon. :sad:

I need to find a barber shop. I miss the atmosphere.

A barber should be able to give you a good, comfortable and close shave.

We may not be able to shave you as close as you could yourself but in most cases I find that the shave I give is far better than the client could do on themselves. When I say better I mean I don't miss a hair and you leave the shop with a close, irritation free shave. Every bit of stubble is mowed down as close as I dare to take it.

I never shave clients against the grain, only across on the second pass with maybe the odd bit of ATG in non sensitive areas (such as cheeks) on the finishing pass.

As far as hygiene goes, every client gets a new blade fitted to a razor that has been washed in Barbicide, rinsed and stored in a UV steriliser. I get through a lot of brushes because I wash them in Barbicide after each client. A brush normally lasts 20 clients before it starts to die. Razors used for haircuts are only changed when they start to dull but razors used for neck shaves are changed after every client.

Cheers

Mat

the barber in my home town here in New Brunswick, Canada uses a straight to rim up your new dew, its probably one of the main reason why I enjoy the going to his shop.

Top Bottom