What's new

Georgetown Pottery

So before christmas the wife emails GTP about a scuttle cause she wanted to get me something nice (yay).

Anyways their website policy is : Shipping charges on orders sent outside the continental US vary based on weight, destination & package value and thus, we are unable to accurately quote international shipments in real time online. Customers will be contacted via email once we receive the order and given the shipping costs. Nothing will be charged until the order has actually shipped.

She placed an order to get a quote and total cost was about 80 bucks to Canada.

Soon recieved an email,
Hello Kristi,

I left you voice mail last night, but youmight be busy like I am this time of year.
I couldn’t get your credit card towork for your scuttle, could you give me a new number?

Thanks Lori

And that was it. I told the wife to forget about it cause that's a lot of change and I already got some razo rock stuff (awesome btw) and some straight razors.

Fast forward a month later Kristi gets an email saying her order shipped and she's not happy.

She Sent:
I just went to check my email today and noticed an email from you stating that something had been shipped, so being curious I checked my credit card and noticed that I had also been CHARGED for something.
Something that I did NOT order, something that I have no idea what it even IS. I am beyond pissed off right now to be honest. I know about a month ago I was interested in a scuttle so I entered my credit card and all the information to try and find out how much shipping would cost...but I wasn't actually committing to make a purchase! And furthermore, who goes and charges someone for something a MONTH later??
I am expecting that you will refund my money ASAP.

Hello Kristi,
We do not charge credit cards until we ship, it seems only fair as you shouldn't need to pay for something before it ships. You must have entered the order as it came though as an order and you would have received a confirmation e-mail directly after you ordered. You can refuse your delivery and when it returns I will credit your account.
Lori

Hi Lori,
I just checked through all of my old emails and there is no confirmation email or anything from you guys other than the one email that said my "order" has been shipped. I'm really not impressed that I should have to wait 4+ weeks for my money to be returned for something that I didn't even order.

Now i'm not saying GTP is wrong, but there should have been better communication throughout the buying process, the wife will be disputing this through her CC cause we don't want to pay any outrageous shipping charges.

Just a heads up.

never ever give your card info untill you want to order.sorry but true.just for shuch happenings.you should also contact the local bbb and file a complaint about the practice.they should have been able to quote prices and shipping w/o your card info.dont let them get by with it.

Truth be told, you'll be receiving a false perspective.
The folks at GTP have always answered every email I have ever sent, and also sent confirmation/ updates on my scuttle when I ordered it last spring. They were friendly, courteous and professional.

To the original OP: Something doesn't make sense with your comments. I order my G5 from GTP in August to Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada. With the exchange and shipping it came to $57.78 (Cdn.)

Second, I am not trying to come across as rude, but I am wondering if you're spouse didn't notice on the second last part of the order - "Review Order and Payment"- where it shows the shipping as $11 (USD.) That is of course unless she picked an expedited shipping method, which the cost is then clearly shown (again is USD.) This is before you need to enter your credit card. Unless this was the case, I can't see how the shipping could be close to $80 based on your comment.

If your wife entered the credit card number and hit submit, she would have been confirming the order. I am not sure why she would have entered the # anyhow, since their shipping info is clearly stated in their webpage.

Regarding your comments about their shipping policy, here is it right off of their website- much different that what you seem to have paraphrased in your comments above. I have increased the font since it is a little small:

Quote:

Shipping

Shipping Information
Our shipping goal is to quickly deliver your new pottery to your door as safely and economically as possible.
All packages are sent UPS Ground.
Expedited shipping is available upon request. Due to the nature of our boxing it will be expensive, but we are willing to accommodate all of your needs. Call for a quote. 1-866-936-7687.
All packages are double boxed, insured and covered against breakage. Although breakage is very rare, if you receive an item that has been damaged save the box and contact us immediately.

Shipping Costs
For purchases totaling under $75 shipping is $11. For purchases $75 - $100, shipping is $15. For purchases over $100 shipping is 15%. Our shipping prices only cover our costs.
* Small and Large Bird Baths, as well as lamps with 14", 15", 16" and 18" shades require an additional box and + $8 shipping. The $8 is built into the cost of the shades and the $8 will be added to the shipping for the bird baths.

your wife must have pressed the order bottom, And you said in your own words "She placed an order to get a quote and total cost was about 80 bucks to Canada." So the order was placed. I'm not taking sides, but seems like she placed an order...
cheers

So before christmas the wife emails GTP about a scuttle cause she wanted to get me something nice (yay).

Anyways their website policy is : Shipping charges on orders sent outside the continental US vary based on weight, destination & package value and thus, we are unable to accurately quote international shipments in real time online. Customers will be contacted via email once we receive the order and given the shipping costs. Nothing will be charged until the order has actually shipped.

She placed an order to get a quote and total cost was about 80 bucks to Canada.

Soon recieved an email,
Hello Kristi,

I left you voice mail last night, but youmight be busy like I am this time of year.
I couldn’t get your credit card towork for your scuttle, could you give me a new number?

Thanks Lori

And that was it. I told the wife to forget about it cause that's a lot of change and I already got some razo rock stuff (awesome btw) and some straight razors.

Fast forward a month later Kristi gets an email saying her order shipped and she's not happy.

She Sent:
I just went to check my email today and noticed an email from you stating that something had been shipped, so being curious I checked my credit card and noticed that I had also been CHARGED for something.
Something that I did NOT order, something that I have no idea what it even IS. I am beyond pissed off right now to be honest. I know about a month ago I was interested in a scuttle so I entered my credit card and all the information to try and find out how much shipping would cost...but I wasn't actually committing to make a purchase! And furthermore, who goes and charges someone for something a MONTH later??
I am expecting that you will refund my money ASAP.

Hello Kristi,
We do not charge credit cards until we ship, it seems only fair as you shouldn't need to pay for something before it ships. You must have entered the order as it came though as an order and you would have received a confirmation e-mail directly after you ordered. You can refuse your delivery and when it returns I will credit your account.
Lori

Hi Lori,
I just checked through all of my old emails and there is no confirmation email or anything from you guys other than the one email that said my "order" has been shipped. I'm really not impressed that I should have to wait 4+ weeks for my money to be returned for something that I didn't even order.

Now i'm not saying GTP is wrong, but there should have been better communication throughout the buying process, the wife will be disputing this through her CC cause we don't want to pay any outrageous shipping charges.

Just a heads up.

Just a little devils advocate but if you "place an order", it's more like placing an order than "getting a quote." Also, the vendor called and emailed to remedy with no response on buyers end. Just trying to give some perspective from the other side so we don't jump to negative conclusions about an honest vendor here.

Just a little devils advocate but if you "place an order", it's more like placing an order than "getting a quote." Also, the vendor called and emailed to remedy with no response on buyers end. Just trying to give some perspective from the other side so we don't jump to negative conclusions about an honest vendor here.
^^^^
My exact impression

As I said, I'm not placing blame on anyone, my wife was under the impression that that was the process for getting a shipping quote and then she could give the go-ahead. I just wish there was better communication between us rather than being charged a month after our last contact.

Mr Dieselfuel - I don't know the exact dollar figure, we havent recieved a reciept and it hasn't shown up on her CC statement yet.Your quote completely missed International, Hawaii and Alaska Shipping . According to their website

SHIPPING
Continental US: $11
International: Varies
SEE
HERE
for more information.

Only ConUS shipping is $11.00, international shipping vaires and when you click the link it says "Customers will be contacted via email once we receive the order and given the shipping costs"

I figured at the very least they would confirm the shipping costs before getting the green light.

Last edited:
Not to beat a dead horse, but:

International, Hawaii and Alaska Shipping

Shipping charges on orders sent outside the continental US vary based on weight, destination & package value and thus, we are unable to accurately quote international shipments in real time online. Customers will be contacted via email once we receive the order and given the shipping costs. Nothing will be charged until the order has actually shipped. If you have any additional questions or would like a shipping quote prior to ordering, we can be Contacted via Email Monday - Friday, 9am-5pm EST or toll free at 1-866-936-7687.

My Apologies,

I didn't catch that part. I was simply referring to the fact that, being in Canada, my shipping was only $11. Hope it all works out for you.

I ordered a G5 from them with no problems. Their communications were excellent, and the product outstanding! Also, the final total for my G5 sent to Canada was around 60 bucks. Sounds like there was a miscommunication part possibly between you and your wife, or your wife and GTP. Hope it gets squared away with you.

Hello Kristi,
Lori

It's hard to fault this response from Georgetown. Obviously, there was a miscommunication. You thought you had not placed an order, but to them, it came across as an order. So, she's saying hey, we'll fix it. She says will credit your account. What more could one ask for?

They've been around for a long time and are pretty well known. I'm pretty confident in saying they wouldn't be in business long if they pulled shady shenanigans like this and tried to screw people.

You say you don't want to blame anyone, but posting this here shines a bad light on them, and it isn't clear it's deserved. I think perhaps you should have waited until the situation played out before sullying their name. If you didn't get credited the full amount, THEN start this thread.

Best of luck with this! I'm sure they will make good on it.

Top Bottom